Clearing up the rule on pickpocket

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Clearing up the rule on pickpocket

Post by LordofUndeath »

just for starters, i like to think i pp by the rules i don't pickpocket dead guys, if i get forgestones or anything like that i return it and i never pp anyone more then 3 times in a 24hr period, if im detected and killed i return the stuff. And to add i don't pick pocket that often (because i only play a few hours a week and rarely PP in that time.) but everytime i do it always seems to go OOC by the player. *edit* i don't pp lowbies either

Im asking if someone can clear the rules up, as i understood it and have been told it's the above but most importantly if you're killed you return the stuff. Now some people say you have to return it even though you're just detacted ("caught"). This personally makes sense to me. As i see it if you're detected you're just that. Detected. That the person saw that you pickpocketed you. If said person kills you he/she acted upon that knowledge but just beeing detected and then say you have to return the stuff because you we're "caught"? That sounds illogical to me, can someone clear this up? Atleast this is what i vageuly remembers from Myle in the old forums.
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

And please i don't want this to become a discussion about the be-or-not-to-be regarding PP so leave the personal opinions out of it (Im sure theres other threads about that). I just want to clear up the rules.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

The rule for PPing is no more than 3 times. There is no other rule. the rest is just common courtesy.

that's my take on things, anyway.
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

I thought it was somewhere along those line but some people say things along the lines that they have "DM friends who will take care of it, bann me, put me in jail". Im not sure that's just threats or not but since no dm has contacted me (i have not gotten ahold of one either, read above im not online that much (and i do hope that those who have DMs for friends aren't above the rules and treated seperatly then the rest). So i thought i'd inquire on how the rules are.
Akimb0
Knight
Knight

Post by Akimb0 »

If you're detected, you're detected. Run for it. It doesn't mean "caught" If you steal something of value then it's polite to at least offer to sell/give it back. Though there are no rules other than "no more than three a day" the problem comes because the town is a no pvp area. So they can't kill you can claim it back. However murder over theft doesn't make sense anyway. I personally don't see the point in pp at all because it just causes grief, and with the way it's set on this server, you can't steal anything of real value other than potions / scrolls anyway. ( To my knowledge )

Ignore players who threaten you with "dm friends." Hell some of them even pretend to be dm's themselves. No one likes pp, but if they threaten you, just make sure you get your "3 a day" limit off of them.
Last edited by Akimb0 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexx_0
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You can't PP in a no PvP area. The game won't allow it, unless of course something has changed in a patch recently.

-driller
Akimb0 wrote:If you're detected, you're detected. Run for it. It doesn't mean "caught" If you steal something of value then it's polite to at least offer to sell/give it back. Though there are no rules other than "no more than three a day" the problem comes because the town is a no pvp area. So they can't kill you can claim it back. However murder over theft doesn't make sense anyway. I personally don't see the point in pp at all because it just causes grief, and with the way it's set on this server, you can't steal anything of real value other than potions / scrolls anyway.

Ignore players who threaten you with "dm friends." Hell some of them even pretend to be dm's themselves. No one likes pp, but if they threaten you, just make sure you get your "3 a day" limit off of them.
Akimb0
Knight
Knight

Post by Akimb0 »

Oh cool, it does still work like that then. I thought that as well, but I wasn't sure if it was changed here somehow. *Feels safe walking around the Keep again.* On that note stealing off people in the arena when they're fighting is -_-

I'm used to a full-pvp server, where there's so many pp it's just scary stepping outside, I know that if you pp an npc it counts as a hostile action if detected, so if you pp a player.....the same should apply. So again my opinion is if you're detected, run for it :P
Hexx_0
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

My interpretation of pickpocketing procedure is as follows:

If someone Spots a Pick Pocket attempt, then the character has IC knowledge as to who stole it and is justified in the use of force. If they fail the spot check and it does not say who took it in the server messages window then the character does not know who took his/her stuff (even if the player has a strong suspicion or feels certain of the culprit's identity) in which case there is insufficient grounds for a PK. Screenshots should always be taken during situations like this to assist in any disputes that require arbitration. Generally, it takes more than just spotting the theft to result in getting the item back. Capturing/killing the rogue should result in the item being returned though I get the feeling this bit is considered by some as a grey area.
The only constant is change.
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

driller wrote:You can't PP in a no PvP area. The game won't allow it, unless of course something has changed in a patch recently.

-driller
Akimb0 wrote:If you're detected, you're detected. Run for it. It doesn't mean "caught" If you steal something of value then it's polite to at least offer to sell/give it back. Though there are no rules other than "no more than three a day" the problem comes because the town is a no pvp area. So they can't kill you can claim it back. However murder over theft doesn't make sense anyway. I personally don't see the point in pp at all because it just causes grief, and with the way it's set on this server, you can't steal anything of real value other than potions / scrolls anyway.

Just so i have it from someone who knows, what are the rules regarding PP?
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Re: Clearing up the rule on pickpocket

Post by dm_demitri »

Ask, and thy shall recieve! :P
LordofUndeath wrote:just for starters, i like to think i pp by the rules i don't pickpocket dead guys, if i get forgestones or anything like that i return it and i never pp anyone more then 3 times in a 24hr period, if im detected and killed i return the stuff. And to add i don't pick pocket that often (because i only play a few hours a week and rarely PP in that time.) but everytime i do it always seems to go OOC by the player. *edit* i don't pp lowbies either

Im asking if someone can clear the rules up, as i understood it and have been told it's the above but most importantly if you're killed you return the stuff.
There is one hidden exception to all these rules, but it's not a generally known thing (nor will I make it generally known, so don't ask). Otherwise, it's rather easy:
> PPing the same character more than 3 times in any given REAL LIFE 24 hours is against the rules.

>If you are caught or detected PPing (at all), then hope your legs can run fast, because you were caught initiating a PvP action. Initiating a PvP action of any kind opens you to being hunted and PKed, as it IS a form of consent.
[Note: It doesn't matter WHO catches you.]

> If you PP forgies, it means the lag is causing a script not to fire, because you shouldn't be able to PP forgies. Thus, give them back. This also applies generally to highly-forged main weapons and such. There is another script that is supposed to limit the size of things people can PP. Also, it sometimes doesn't fire. Same with Akon Eyes. Lag is usually the culprit.
[A note to victims: If a thief is returning a PP'd item they nabbed from you, be greatful. If you use that OOC info to try to justify PKing them because you then become aware they PP'd you, then you encourage them (and others) to NOT return your stolen forgies or other items to you in the future. So just accept that the thief is trying to be fair to you.]

> If you are caught PPing -AND KILLED- before you have a chance to fence the stolen stuff, then common sense means the person is going to rifle thru your things and take back what is theirs. Of course, if you've already fenced it off, then it's not there for them to take. So be smart and give what was stolen back if you can (of course if you can't, then you can't). In the long run, it's less of a hassle for everyone involved that way.

> Technically there's no rule against PPing dead bodies or lowbies (other than the ones stated above already), but many act in a protective way over those who cannot fight back for whatever reason. Such protectors have no problems calling in a mass amount of players to hunt someone like this. In short, you do so at your own risk.

That's about it really. If in doubt about something, have a little common curtesy. Acting like a jerk will only ensure that others will treat you as such. If that happens, then you'll probably find that there's very few (if anyone) who will help you.

"No sympathy will come to one who starts many fires, and gets burned." ~Wise saying

~Demitri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

I have been sick for the last few days and im alittle feverish so if i misread i apologize but just to make it 100%: If im detected while PP there is no RULE that says i have to give it back? (I know i consent to PvP, and that's good.)
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Kinda hard to make a thief give back something (even if they were seen) unless you can catch them. Of course, if you are seen and don't make ammends, then you are still open to be hunted later.

Again, "PP at your own risk."

~Demitri
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

no rule unless you took a forgestone or highly crafted or unique item.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

Nevermind "dm-friends" took it anyway..
Akimb0
Knight
Knight

Post by Akimb0 »

They took something you pp'd? -_-
Hexx_0