Crafting weapons...

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: Crafting weapons...

Post by Kane0 »

Which is pretty much why I was asking about a 'Crash Course to Blackstone Keep' either on the forums or a book in game. Something that just goes over the basics of the subsystems in the module and answers the FAQs.
Would save a lot of the new players time and effort (especially if they aren't on at normal times, like myself in Aus), plus the veterans don't get bothered and have to repeat themselves too much.
It wouldn't be giving us information we didn't have before, it would just ensure that the new blood has access to the the same information that the old hats have and can contribute to discussions more meaningfully.
TressFX
Knight
Knight

Post by TressFX »

Kane0 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 am Which is pretty much why I was asking about a 'Crash Course to Blackstone Keep' either on the forums or a book in game. Something that just goes over the basics of the subsystems in the module and answers the FAQs.
Would save a lot of the new players time and effort (especially if they aren't on at normal times, like myself in Aus), plus the veterans don't get bothered and have to repeat themselves too much.
It wouldn't be giving us information we didn't have before, it would just ensure that the new blood has access to the the same information that the old hats have and can contribute to discussions more meaningfully.
Well said, and I could not agree more.
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

That is a good idea. I've always thought the adventures book leaves something to be desired but, you can't give too much away because for some people that is the enjoyment is learning/relearning this new environment on there own. I think a little more than only the first word shrine would be a good addition the the cause one of these days. Also there may be something around already that gives this info that we all miss and don't see....That happens quite a bit as well.
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
Graves
Baron
Baron

Post by Graves »

Agreed, a new player guide of some sort would be handy. It's not like they wouldn't discover the same information on their own, either by experimentation or just asking the nearest vet for help with the info. This just makes arguably the server's best feature accessible to new players and does a bit to entice them to stick around. +1 for a Blackstone FAQ book.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Graves wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 pm Agreed, a new player guide of some sort would be handy. It's not like they wouldn't discover the same information on their own, either by experimentation or just asking the nearest vet for help with the info. This just makes arguably the server's best feature accessible to new players and does a bit to entice them to stick around. +1 for a Blackstone FAQ book.
Traditionally all this sort of information was pass about by "role playing". Why change something that isn't broken?
Grumples
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Grumples »

Well, for one thing, there isn't much role playing going on anymore. Like, at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to get into some RP on this server. But currently, no one seems to be interested in it at all. I've tried to initiate some RP once or twice, and am greeted either with an odd silence or the continuation of OOC banter.

I'm not saying RP should be forced on people. But what I am saying is that this "RP to find out info" line doesn't really cut it with the current mindset of the vast majority of the playerbase. So, in a way, something is broken.

Just my opinion.
Eithné Moonbow, Newt, Gwen of Clan Verituza, Anethe Ebonscorn
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I will add an announcer to help Role player's find like minded people.

-driller
Grumples
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Grumples »

Thanks, driller. I think that would be a great idea!
Eithné Moonbow, Newt, Gwen of Clan Verituza, Anethe Ebonscorn
Garek
Knight
Knight

Post by Garek »

Grumples wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm Well, for one thing, there isn't much role playing going on anymore. Like, at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to get into some RP on this server. But currently, no one seems to be interested in it at all. I've tried to initiate some RP once or twice, and am greeted either with an odd silence or the continuation of OOC banter.

I'm not saying RP should be forced on people. But what I am saying is that this "RP to find out info" line doesn't really cut it with the current mindset of the vast majority of the playerbase. So, in a way, something is broken.

Just my opinion.
One of the few rules that used to exist was you should RP if talking out loud to others. I was never a huge RP'er but always stayed in character when having conversations with others. It's actually more fun if everyone tries to follow that rule.

That being said the current population needs to be reminded of that.........IF THAT'S STILL THE RULE/GUIDE/GOAL?

We need Driller's decision on this though. Is that still the rule?

I have told a couple of people talking out loud about their video graphics problems and they both pm'd me back they were sorry and didn't realize. They seemed to enjoy the server and had no problem staying in character when talking out loud.

Just a suggestion, to keep the mix alive and well. You can power-game and talk about your RL in party and pms, just not out loud in town.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

OK, I might be kicking a dead horse, but still. I found this thread while I was trying to find out if I really had to get my crafting skills up to 80 (which is impossible without lots of special gear which may or may not be around). Now, having read it all, here's what I think I've learned (after sorting through all the non-constructive attacks).

1. A newbie book with some hints would be nice. I could probably write one "in character" if provided with some facts. Something like:

"Young man, I will tell you about my younger days as an adventurer in Blackstone Keep!
[this part of the pergament is unreadable]
As I travelled I found several shrines in strange places. The first thing I learned was that each shrine gave you the key to the next, so you had to do them in order. I learned so much from travelling through the shrines, I almost [unreadable]
[a longer part of the writing has been blotted out]
Oh, and all the merchants! Apart from the obvious pawn shop in The Keep, there was this [unreadable] Marvale [unreadable]
Strangely enough, this one merchant does really hate being disturbed by customers. In fact, not only is his shop hidden in a circle beside [unreadable] but you actually have to defeat [unreadable] to get the key to the door! How strange! But, the amazing trinkets and powerful [unreadable]
[another part of the pergament has been torn off]
as I stomped the snow from my boots, I was greeted by a [unreadable]but luckily, I was very proficient in the arts of weapons crafting, so
[unreadable] and lo and behold! An astonishingly beautiful sword, with magical flames running up and down the edge giving off heat ..."

Well, you get the drift. That way, you could hint that crafting skills are actually useful on this mod, etc, etc.

2. I sincerely hope that crafting 80 is not required to make almost-fantastic gear. I mean, getting higher than 43 is a serious sacrifice of other things you might prioritize (such as surviving). I would love to have someone confirm what crafting skill is meaningful to have.

3. About RP: My guess is that about 25% of the players around (when I'm playing) are interested in RP. The rest, not so much. Now, that wouldn't be a problem, but sometimes when I'm on, there are about 4-6 players, so if I'm lucky I'll find 1 veteran to ask about where I should go, how things work, etc and 1 or 2 to RP with.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Jake_Master
Count
Count

Post by Jake_Master »

I would love to see more RP in the keep and people who don’t run around talking ooc

Granted party talk is completely different, it does really suck though when someone asks you something in talk chat, you Have an in character response, and they reply “thnx lol, cya” or nothing at all

As far as crafting goes, a high craft IS obtainable without any special gear, my crafter has 84 craft without any items increasing his craft skill, and I can still go to umgahs and hold my own solo. It takes a dedicated character to become a crafter, but that’s what makes it unique, this is a particular thing that can initiate very good RP and if it was a lower craft number required than everyone could be a “master crafter” which is boring

Even on this forum! In the “in character” posts their is a crafter offering his services... doubt anyone has even attempted to reach out to them, now whether they RP the situation or not is another story, regardless the resource is there...this server IMO isn’t supposed to be a one man show, it requires communication and interaction between people to thrive and learn all their is to learn and do on BSK

The answers are in the game you just have to have the want to find them... I try to help people out as much as possible when encountered in game.. that being said I don’t think anyone is going to give you a step by step on everything and anything in the game, as they shouldn’t...play the game, interact with people.. that’s is how you learn
Captain Andrick Korningstone, Arms Master Los Illuminados Alianza

Troy Korningstone
Andrin StoneBender, Master Crafter
Kurt Addams
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Jake_Master wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am I would love to see more RP in the keep and people who don’t run around talking ooc

Granted party talk is completely different, it does really suck though when someone asks you something in talk chat, you Have an in character response, and they reply “thnx lol, cya” or nothing at all

As far as crafting goes, a high craft IS obtainable without any special gear, my crafter has 84 craft without any items increasing his craft skill, and I can still go to umgahs and hold my own solo. It takes a dedicated character to become a crafter, but that’s what makes it unique, this is a particular thing that can initiate very good RP and if it was a lower craft number required than everyone could be a “master crafter” which is boring

Even on this forum! In the “in character” posts their is a crafter offering his services... doubt anyone has even attempted to reach out to them, now whether they RP the situation or not is another story, regardless the resource is there...this server IMO isn’t supposed to be a one man show, it requires communication and interaction between people to thrive and learn all their is to learn and do on BSK

The answers are in the game you just have to have the want to find them... I try to help people out as much as possible when encountered in game.. that being said I don’t think anyone is going to give you a step by step on everything and anything in the game, as they shouldn’t...play the game, interact with people.. that’s is how you learn
I agree with Jake! If you want information role play to find it. DO NOT SEND TELLS!! My cleric's John or Jerome are in the temple when I am on. Role play with them for information. Oh don't ask Toli Nufgren, my DD, he'll charge to a forgie for any information. What do you expect he's a dwarf!
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Oh, I have tried, so many times. But, as I said, not many online when I'm on, also I can't f-ing find them in game unless I encounter someone randomly in the pawn shop. But, since it seems easy to be accused of being a whiner, I'm not going to elaborate on that... I'll just go back to try and find someone in game who can explain something.

The other night, I finally found someone in game who told me about two kinda imporant merchants. It would have been great to find that out before accumulating 22 levels. Again, not that I enjoy solo-ing, I can't find someone to talk to. It's like a desert out there... *whining voice* :-)

Jake_Master wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am ....

Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Jake_Master
Count
Count

Post by Jake_Master »

It’s not that people consider you a whiner, as someone who has been here on and off for nearly 10 years now I can say it’s amazing to see a new player base emerge and being able to login to 10-30 other players on at all times, I remember when it could be 1 or 2 their for a bit

What I’m getting at is vet players at BSK didn’t acquire the knowledge they have over night, or even over a few weeks or months they learned by just playing and having fun. You will acquire knowledge overtime, even in your posts you’ve indicated the needed craft to be able to forge gear, 2 adittional shop... you are learning, just perhaps not the pace you would like? Again, I don’t think anyone is attacking you it is good you are eager to learn about the server but just play and have fun the rest will come with time... there are still many things I don’t know about the server and I’ve played here for quite sometime so don’t get discouraged mate!
Captain Andrick Korningstone, Arms Master Los Illuminados Alianza

Troy Korningstone
Andrin StoneBender, Master Crafter
Kurt Addams
Killuah Zodiach
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Killuah Zodiach »

To about 80% of the people complaining over forge stone rolls, or having to get 80+ craft.
10 years ago, there were no + craft items, and there were no sure as hell odds with the forge.
You guys didn't craft 100 000 000gp worth of traps to a acquire a stash of forge stones, and you sure as hell should be lucky you have us vets to RP / help you guys understand things like Akons, what stone does what, the crafting order, sockets, where to level, what gear to buy and how to get gear from different areas.
I never had any of that, I had to solo, fail, wait to get resurrected else loose my 10k exp and a few hours game play and more IMPORTANTLY I had to make friends, and become a regular for people to talk to me, and teach me (you know, interaction between other humans playing a game).

The general loot right now for drops is also about 250% better than what I had 10 years ago.

Try burning 40 days of solid RP trading reds (Because people knew their worth, and also ugmah's that didn't have a forge stone % Drop) and still get a soddin 1d6 fire on your damn rapier.

Anyway, the only thing I like about this thread is old mates attempt at an updated adventurer handbook, driller give him a medal, it probably should be pilfered with copy rights off buried under the tyranoid swamp, and give that bloke a beer.