AC +2 Items? Word to Shrine 2? No got word when beat shrine 1?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

Re: AC +2 Items? Word to Shrine 2? No got word when beat shrine 1?

Post by Asturonethoriusaline »

And if thats not enough getting killed on ship, then after the ship arrives, I get attacked by too tough to handle solo cultist, and get killed again.

Hey at this rate maybe I can stay at Lev 11, 12 forever no matter how much I farm solo, quest solo, and xp gained, and then lost.

So can't get +2 AC items in Blackstone, because either not available or if available sold before I can buy them.

And cant goto Marvale without being killed if go there solo.

And can't survive solo unless get +2 AC gear, and cant get +2 AC gear unless I solo farm, solo quest, which will kill me, making it so that cant get +2 AC gear.

Basically the only way out of this no win, no go anywhere loop, is to join a group, party, but I have already mentioned the problems been having with groups, parties.

Oh well it is what it is.

Meet the newer Murphy of this PW.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Have you ever consider not engaging an enemy and giving them a wide berth?
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Well.... Let's see, where to start... I have currently 8 toons and I think I've deleted about 6-8 other toons of various classes, some lvl 40. I have NEVER gotten stuck levelling until Snort, whatever the toon. Also, I have never had problems with money, nor have I felt the need to buy stuff when loot is plenty. Still, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Obviously. Now, some concrete suggestions (some of which you may have done already, but still):

1. When you start out, there's an item you can buy at Foxmore that helps you win fights at low levels. If you have UMD or are a mage, there are several items you can buy. Other merchants have other helpful items you can buy.

2. There are socket runes you can find to increase the AC of any socketed item. Read the descriptions of all items before you sell them.

3. There are quest givers that provide companions after you have done their quests.

4. I don't know how it works on a phone, but if you right-click on an opponent, you'll get an idea if you should try to attack, or if you'd better avoid a fight.

5. If you're level 11 or so, you should be able to farm several areas. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the Spider Cave or Ettins would be good choices. If not them, perhaps Ogres.

6. Do all the quests, but in the correct order. I meet several players that for some reasons avoid quests, saying "I will farm first, then when I'm high level, I will do the quests". To each his own, but to me it's plain stupid (No, I'm not suggesting that you're stupid, it's an example). The quests are there to provide guidance to the proper areas for your level. They will show you the way to new places. They will give you rewards that you can use to survive further. Easiest is to try the first quest in each quest chain, then you do the second in each quest chain. After a while you'll realize which quests should be done in which order.

7. Read the descriptions of all items you find. I met a whole bunch of players in a shrine who were amazed by my ability to swiftly kill the constructs. After some discussion, I realized that none of them had actually examined the items that various quest bosses dropped, so they had no idea what kind of weaponry the quests will provide you if you only read the descriptions of the items.

8. AC is not all. I don't understand the focus on +2 AC items (although you're correct, there's a noticable drop in loot between +1 and +4). On this server, you might be better served by using socket gems to set up damage immunities.

9. Pick your fights. Picking your fights is necessary if you're not a melee fighter type toon. Some areas, you have to avoid the tougher opponents. For instance, there is a common Blackstone phenomena to consider: The Boss is usually two to three times as hard to kill as the mobs. You may have to clear a few areas three-four times, until you've levelled up enough to take on the boss.

10. Farm while you quest. As long as you get at least 1/40th of the XP per kill that you need to level up, stay in that area until you level up. As mentioned above, easiest thing to do is just clear each area three-four times before you take on the boss.

11. Talk to people in game. Most people on this server are VERY newbie-friendly. I have received help from loads of people with gold, items, directions, tips, tactics, toon builds, whatever.

12. Use a ranged weapon. Most areas you can clear easier with a ranged weapon. Kiting is a very good tactic, especially if you're DEX-based (which I assume you are with your class selections).

13. There are no participation medals on Blackstone keep. Until you've learned the quirks of this server, you need to work hard to level. Especially if you choose something else than Fighter or Cleric. According to rumour, Cleric is the easiest class to level up.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Oh, and I forgot. If I remember correctly, you get loot for about 28k (if you sell at the right merchant) from the first quest. I cannot understand how money is a problem.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Hey Asturo. Here are some observations regarding your current predicament:

1. You're playing a Ranger/Monk/Assassin to start with, which if dex based, is a pretty gear reliant character. You won't have much up front damage, nor opportunity to sneak attack things for more than one flurry unless you're adept at using corners to re-enter hiding [which often aren't available, e.g. in Blackheart's tomb]. And then in addition you don't have much AC ... because you don't have much equipment yet.

I suppose it's too late for this particular character, but IMO, you'd be a lot better off if you were playing a stealth character with Shadowdancer in the mix, as you could then use Hide In Plain Sight to make up for your currently mediocre AC. At least for a starter character on the server.

2. Most of the 'decent' low level equipment [i.e. +3ish stuff] is found in shops that require the player to traverse dangerous areas or complete quests to reach. Which is hard to do of you're lacking equipment that would help you do this.

3. Money is more easily come across at higher levels, when the loot becomes more powerful. Which again is hard to do if you cannot level your character due to lack of equipment.

4. You're trying to solo as much as you can, with a character that is at present probably very difficult to solo with. Again, for a solo stealth character, Shadowdancer is a no brainer. Monk/Assassin/SD is would probably be a more effective character for what you are currently trying to do.

5. This criticism is a bit nit picky but ... playing a mechanical character like a sneaker on an Android probably isn't ideal. There just arent all the easy-to-use quickslots available for things like Hide spamming and equipment switching. Spellcasters are even worse. If Andriod is your only option, you ill probably find life easier playing mechanically easy-to-play characters like sword and board fighter types. Or use a stylus , that might help as well.

For these current problems, here are some possible solutions:

1. Personally, I'd be inclined to make a new character that is not as gear reliant. Shadowdancers and/or Clerics are good candidates for this. There are mechanisms by which you can transfer equipment to new characters [which is what veteran players here tend to do when creating new characters], and I'm sure someone in game can help you with this.

2. If you do not wish to start another character, then at the very least I would try and find an area that you can farm for loot [rather than XP], and then sneak your way to the Marvale shop to buy some more equipment.

3. Use consumables when they're available [sounds like you're doing this already but just driving that point home].

4. If you have UMD, grab a summoning magic item. Having an extra meatshield for you to flank with as a sneaker is very useful. There are also henchmen/companions that can be recruited after completing various quests, but they tend to be of a higher level and might be difficult for your current character.

5. PARTY UP! :)
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

On another note, I have added a few +2 items to the Bordermarch merchant.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 pm On another note, I have added a few +2 items to the Bordermarch merchant.
Wheee!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Fenrip1
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Fenrip1 »

Arturo - when are you generally on and what is your character's name? I'll help you out a little and show you around a bit.

Also, check the temple from time to time and see if there are any clerics standing around willing to cast a few "blessings" on you. Makes life easier when your gear is enhanced.

My login is Fenrip 13. Main characters are Pipwhistle, Grum the Outcast, and soon to return Dunabar Foehammer. The other Fenrip logins are my sons. They'll help if they can but the younger one hasn't been around much yet.

Hope I can help you out.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Fenrip1 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:05 am Arturo - when are you generally on and what is your character's name? I'll help you out a little and show you around a bit.

Also, check the temple from time to time and see if there are any clerics standing around willing to cast a few "blessings" on you. Makes life easier when your gear is enhanced.

My login is Fenrip 13. Main characters are Pipwhistle, Grum the Outcast, and soon to return Dunabar Foehammer. The other Fenrip logins are my sons. They'll help if they can but the younger one hasn't been around much yet.

Hope I can help you out.
I can help too. If you don't want to memorize all my toons, you can just type this:
/tp "Cornflower" Hello!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

Update. I have FINALLY managed to grind some levels to 15. And despite the lack of +2, 3 AC items since lev 1 to lev 12. Suddenly was able to buy a lot of +2, 3 AC items.

Also nothing like a bad experience somewhere else to put things into perspective.

I occasionally try out different PW's.

I tried out World of Iniquity. Created a Dex character. Entered world. Read everything. Talked to everyone. Give em credit for having lots of shops near entry. And nice players.

But thats where the good ended and bad began.

I scoured ALL the shops nearby. Plenty of +2,+3, +4 ARMOR(level restricts(cost too much). But NO basic Armor, +1 Armor of any kind.

What that meant is that despite starting with 2000 gold. There was no way to get basic leather armor or +1 leather Armor or any basic, or +1 Armor for a new lev 1 ranger character.

So a nice player helped level up, because player figured that if helped me level up, I would be able to wear lev restricted leather armor. And because of with no armor there was no way to survive to lev up to wear lev restrict armor.

So afterwards went shopping again after going from lev 1 to lev 5.

I found some +2 leather Armor(still no basic or +1 leather armor. Heck would have worn, bought any armor whether padded to full plate, whether basic, +1, etc, if available, affordable.), but it costed 3700 gold, and I had only 3000 gold, 700 short.

So I had to go around with my ranger that went from lev 1 to lev 5 just like that because of nice player, wearing only a robe, with a 15 AC(because of 20 Dex at character creation, giving +5 bonus to AC), with no way to get even basic leather, padded Armor, without adventuring, questing, fighting, killing, etc, leveling up, etc, and no way to SURVIVE to adventure, quest, kill, level up, etc, to get even basic leather armor, without even basic armor.

The starting newbie area is UNDEAD. So basically without a higher level holding the new players hand for the first 10 levels, and making sure that gets enough money, levels to be able to get even basic gear, the new player is SCREWED.

And the DM's, admins, the few higher level players, didnt like pointing this out to them, the PW, the players, etc.

And they werent cooperative, receptive to both feedback, fixing the prob, etc.

They said they didnt want such feedback, suggestions to fix problem.

I said with their attitude, and their non fixed problem, that they unwilling to fix that no wonder they lack a playerbase, and that they could expect a neg review.

Then they booted me right after thst.

Not that I would have stayed lol.

Makes one appreciate this and other PW's even more.

Puts things into perspective.
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

driller wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am Have you ever consider not engaging an enemy and giving them a wide berth?
Yeah tried that but the cultist penetrated my Hide of +13 move silenty +13.

Tried it again. Worked second time. Just apparently got unlucky first time.
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

Cornflower wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 am Well.... Let's see, where to start... I have currently 8 toons and I think I've deleted about 6-8 other toons of various classes, some lvl 40. I have NEVER gotten stuck levelling until Snort, whatever the toon. Also, I have never had problems with money, nor have I felt the need to buy stuff when loot is plenty. Still, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Obviously. Now, some concrete suggestions (some of which you may have done already, but still):

1. When you start out, there's an item you can buy at Foxmore that helps you win fights at low levels. If you have UMD or are a mage, there are several items you can buy. Other merchants have other helpful items you can buy.

(8 Cha so while have UMD it isnt effective yet)

2. There are socket runes you can find to increase the AC of any socketed item. Read the descriptions of all items before you sell them.

(Yes I know, but wasnt getting those. Only was getting the add +1 to weapon add damage to weapon add immunitty to armor. No add AC to armor gems, runes, items, etc.)

3. There are quest givers that provide companions after you have done their quests.

(I hadnt found those yet. i will keep my eyes out for those)

4. I don't know how it works on a phone, but if you right-click on an opponent, you'll get an idea if you should try to attack, or if you'd better avoid a fight.

(i thought something like that should be available. Tried that by holding down on enemy on my phone. No info like that appeared.)

5. If you're level 11 or so, you should be able to farm several areas. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the Spider Cave or Ettins would be good choices. If not them, perhaps Ogres.

(Found the Ettins, Ogres, picked up Kyron quest great for farming up levels)

6. Do all the quests, but in the correct order. I meet several players that for some reasons avoid quests, saying "I will farm first, then when I'm high level, I will do the quests". To each his own, but to me it's plain stupid (No, I'm not suggesting that you're stupid, it's an example). The quests are there to provide guidance to the proper areas for your level. They will show you the way to new places. They will give you rewards that you can use to survive further. Easiest is to try the first quest in each quest chain, then you do the second in each quest chain. After a while you'll realize which quests should be done in which order.

(I was doing that. Until I hit a wall. I could not complete the current quest at the time. I could not even farm using the current quest. I had to farm raise my level to do, finish the current, next sequential quest. Still havent completed the end of blackheart, because still too tough solo, even at lev 15)

7. Read the descriptions of all items you find. I met a whole bunch of players in a shrine who were amazed by my ability to swiftly kill the constructs. After some discussion, I realized that none of them had actually examined the items that various quest bosses dropped, so they had no idea what kind of weaponry the quests will provide you if you only read the descriptions of the items.

(I already do, did this. I just was not getting good drops and wasnt finding good affordable finds in stores until now, recently)

8. AC is not all. I don't understand the focus on +2 AC items (although you're correct, there's a noticable drop in loot between +1 and +4). On this server, you might be better served by using socket gems to set up damage immunities.

(Focusing on AC because have 22 dex +6 dex bonus that good for AC, AB. The drawback is I dont deal a lot of damage. Otherwise I would focus more on other things besides AC. The build idea is to have a LOT of attacks per round, a high dexed AB, AC, and to fall back on that when not able to assassinate or hit a horde, then use hit run tactics)

9. Pick your fights. Picking your fights is necessary if you're not a melee fighter type toon. Some areas, you have to avoid the tougher opponents. For instance, there is a common Blackstone phenomena to consider: The Boss is usually two to three times as hard to kill as the mobs. You may have to clear a few areas three-four times, until you've levelled up enough to take on the boss.

(Yep, was, am already doing this, that. But despite that was still having trouble)

10. Farm while you quest. As long as you get at least 1/40th of the XP per kill that you need to level up, stay in that area until you level up. As mentioned above, easiest thing to do is just clear each area three-four times before you take on the boss.

(Like said above doing that. But doing that was still taking me forever to level up even once. And some quest that was doing in order like you say to do, and like I was already doing, were still too hard. I just barely beat the black orc quest at 14th level)

11. Talk to people in game. Most people on this server are VERY newbie-friendly. I have received help from loads of people with gold, items, directions, tips, tactics, toon builds, whatever.

(While this is true or probably true a little to some to most of time, the times I tried, didnt get help, except to invite me to join party only to have me watch as they blindly raced ahead and insta kill everything, with me getting to do nothing(Why not a fan of joining a party, group, and why I solo a lot)

12. Use a ranged weapon. Most areas you can clear easier with a ranged weapon. Kiting is a very good tactic, especially if you're DEX-based (which I assume you are with your class selections).

(Yeah your definitly right here. Figured with a high dex AC and high dex AB that I can sneak in, then fight it out, but I dont do enough damage for that)

13. There are no participation medals on Blackstone keep. Until you've learned the quirks of this server, you need to work hard to level. Especially if you choose something else than Fighter or Cleric. According to rumour, Cleric is the easiest class to level up.
My comments in parenthesis

Thanks for your comnent
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

Cornflower wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:19 am Oh, and I forgot. If I remember correctly, you get loot for about 28k (if you sell at the right merchant) from the first quest. I cannot understand how money is a problem.
Maybe I missed that, messed that up somehow. That or 28k was good enough to get +1 gear(that I used for 13 levels until I finally found, could afford, bought +2 AC items, gear.
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

The Flying Rodent wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:10 pm Hey Asturo. Here are some observations regarding your current predicament:

1. You're playing a Ranger/Monk/Assassin to start with, which if dex based, is a pretty gear reliant character. You won't have much up front damage, nor opportunity to sneak attack things for more than one flurry unless you're adept at using corners to re-enter hiding [which often aren't available, e.g. in Blackheart's tomb]. And then in addition you don't have much AC ... because you don't have much equipment yet.

I suppose it's too late for this particular character, but IMO, you'd be a lot better off if you were playing a stealth character with Shadowdancer in the mix, as you could then use Hide In Plain Sight to make up for your currently mediocre AC. At least for a starter character on the server.

2. Most of the 'decent' low level equipment [i.e. +3ish stuff] is found in shops that require the player to traverse dangerous areas or complete quests to reach. Which is hard to do of you're lacking equipment that would help you do this.

3. Money is more easily come across at higher levels, when the loot becomes more powerful. Which again is hard to do if you cannot level your character due to lack of equipment.

4. You're trying to solo as much as you can, with a character that is at present probably very difficult to solo with. Again, for a solo stealth character, Shadowdancer is a no brainer. Monk/Assassin/SD is would probably be a more effective character for what you are currently trying to do.

5. This criticism is a bit nit picky but ... playing a mechanical character like a sneaker on an Android probably isn't ideal. There just arent all the easy-to-use quickslots available for things like Hide spamming and equipment switching. Spellcasters are even worse. If Andriod is your only option, you ill probably find life easier playing mechanically easy-to-play characters like sword and board fighter types. Or use a stylus , that might help as well.

For these current problems, here are some possible solutions:

1. Personally, I'd be inclined to make a new character that is not as gear reliant. Shadowdancers and/or Clerics are good candidates for this. There are mechanisms by which you can transfer equipment to new characters [which is what veteran players here tend to do when creating new characters], and I'm sure someone in game can help you with this.

2. If you do not wish to start another character, then at the very least I would try and find an area that you can farm for loot [rather than XP], and then sneak your way to the Marvale shop to buy some more equipment.

3. Use consumables when they're available [sounds like you're doing this already but just driving that point home].

4. If you have UMD, grab a summoning magic item. Having an extra meatshield for you to flank with as a sneaker is very useful. There are also henchmen/companions that can be recruited after completing various quests, but they tend to be of a higher level and might be difficult for your current character.

5. PARTY UP! :)
Big Amen to you.

I came to the same conclusion a while ago.

My thought on logic reason for build was to combine, flurry with Ranger 2 weapin fighting feats, higher BAB, etc, to get LOTS of attacks per round, with a good Dex based AB, and ok Dex based AC, that I could fall back on when not able to assassinate.

I think the build will be great at higher levels, just getting there will be hard for reasons you, cornflower, others have named.

So going to try another character:

Ranger/Assassin/SD.
Asturonethoriusaline
Baron
Baron

driller wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 pm On another note, I have added a few +2 items to the Bordermarch merchant.
Thanks driller for adding the extra +2 items. I desperately needed to upgrade from +1 AC gear to +2 AC gear.

That or I was very unlucky at not finding, getting, affording, etc, +2 AC gear. I was wondering if I was going to stay at +1 AC gear until lev 40. Then suddenly starting getting +2 AC items at lev 13.

So thanks