Clearing up the rule on pickpocket

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

_Murdock_
Count
Count

Post by _Murdock_ »

just a question to be sure......

if you PP someone and you get the message you didn't get the item cause larger than 4 squares(tower shield for example)......dos that count as a attempt ?
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Yes

any time, succesful or not is an attempt
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

_Murdock_ wrote:just a question to be sure......

if you PP someone and you get the message you didn't get the item cause larger than 4 squares(tower shield for example)......dos that count as a attempt ?
If you select the PP option and click on someone, that is an attempt and counts as such.

Even if you fail, it was still an attempt. Doesn't matter if you get anything or not.

Hope that helps clear that up :)
~Demitri
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

I stole
The Hunters of Blackstone Keep's Guildhouse Key!
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Old news.
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

LordofUndeath wrote:I stole
The Hunters of Blackstone Keep's Guildhouse Key!
Sure and ya got busted and killed for it too...
~ I kill things and drink potions~
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

And we all laughed and everyone was happy. Untill my fairly stolen item was unfairly stolen...by...you know who
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Ah-Ha, you should know better than messing with the Hunters....

The DMs won't allow it!!
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Here's a pertinent question: If keys to guildhouses can be pickpocketed does that mean that they were meant to be stolen as part of an RP mechanism? Or did the rogue just get lucky and the pickpocket script was supposed to prevent key theft in the first place?

If it's the latter case then I would not be surprised if DMs may have done this kind of search and seisure with property belonging to other guilds as well.
The only constant is change.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

You see, if you gain access to anothers guild.... you are asking for the wrath of all the members of that guild, but if they can't catch you then they will have a DM do for them. This generally only applies to the "good" guilds. As a thief I am fully expecting to be punished if I get caught in a guild house I don't belong, but I also expect a member of the guild to catch me, not a DM.

You would have been fine had you stole a thieves guild key or Kazra key, but you must always play nice with the Hunters or the DMs will strike swiftly.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ah, but AF... Caseius asks the critical question...

If said PP was a bug in scripting, then your PPing said item was a bug exploit which would give DMs every right to do anything and everything to you as consequence if you did not identify and report the exploit.

If said PP was something that is allowed as a part of the game, then your points make complete sense (although I still might disagree with some of those points).
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Yes Viobane, if PPing a guild key is against the rules or scripts, I would agree. But what if a thief was to follow a guild member through a door, or a portal? Would a DM have a right to take the thief's rune stone from him after he sets it in the guild house?
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

What's the fun if no one can beat eachother? I know this is a "family" server, but really. I remember the old Starkson Guildhouse being easily penetrable.. Never remember anyone saying anything against someone storming in there after they had gained entrance. But then again, might just be me.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

If I remember correctly, guildhalls have scripts limiting who can go inside. It's not based on an open door but an item in hand...

So if that's correct, you actually couldn't get inside a guildhall without the key, which gets back to Caseius's point.

For example, evilly aligned characters can't go into the guildhall in Skara Brae.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Some guilds do have wards. But not all of them. Even ones with wards can be circumvented if you can get someone to drop a portal from the inside. Violations of roleplay consistency can result in DM intervention. But only if the violation is big enough. A bunch of kazrite cultists who manage to break into the Shining Order Monastery and subvert their wards might make the one who put those wards up (Vor) a tad irate. And so what starts as a dispute over PvP procedure can become a roleplay experience as a justice-dispensing Vor(or appointed representative) schools the desecrators with a little godsmite. But of course, I can't say for certain what repercussions would come from commiting tresspass on a cosmic scale.
The only constant is change.