NWN2

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

DH has: AMD Sempron 2500+

DH needs: AMD Athlon XP 2000+.

DH has:512mb RAM

DH needs: Another 512 of the same type if he wants a smooth playing experience. Fortunately they are not too expensive these days.

DH has:
- Radeon 9550 Excalibur

DH needs:
- A 128 MB card with Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9500 Pro or nVidia 5600 Ultra or better) or a 256 MB card with Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better) if you want to turn up the graphics settings.

Conclusion:
Semprons are generally slower than their Athlon XP counterpart . Their model numbers are only useful to compare with other processers of the same product line. You will likely need to check your mainboard manual to see if it can support Athlon XP or Athlon 64 but I think they use different types of sockets and so you will likely need to get a new mainboard.

Graphics card barely makes the cut I believe. But you will want to keep your settings down until you get something with Pixel Shader 3.0.

Needs a new CPU, mainboard and another stick of ram. Anything less will likely result in difficult and/or uncomfortable gameplay IMHO.
The only constant is change.
Ensign
Knight
Knight
Location: Leodis, the West Riding of the County of York, England

Post by Ensign »

And I have just figured out I have saved £500 ($900)....the laptop runs NWN2....wwwooohooo!

Problem is, after not buy a single pc game all year, the next 6 months are going to be expensive, because 1 or 2 new releases are not going to work well onthe laptop, ie the next Il2 game (Battle of Britain) and another game from 1c games, Knights of the Sea (Motor Torpedo Boats), so its going to require an upgrade eventually anyway.

Time to make up some excuse to do some overtime I think
"Bring forth the Holy Handgrenade of Antihoch"
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

I talked with my main comp dealer and he agrees with caesius...i really should upgrade the comp before even attempting to run the game so with Xmas being sooo close sadly this wont happen till well into the new year(2007) so ill just be happy to tag along on NWN1 for now :!:
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The AMD Sempron 2500+ is about 5% slower than an normal Athlon XP
2500. It easily meets the specs.

His video card does have Shader 2.0, but it is questionable how fast it would be.

It looks to me like he only needs another 512MB of RAM and a video upgrade.

-driller

Caesius wrote:DH has: AMD Sempron 2500+

DH needs: AMD Athlon XP 2000+.

DH has:512mb RAM

DH needs: Another 512 of the same type if he wants a smooth playing experience. Fortunately they are not too expensive these days.

DH has:
- Radeon 9550 Excalibur

DH needs:
- A 128 MB card with Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9500 Pro or nVidia 5600 Ultra or better) or a 256 MB card with Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better) if you want to turn up the graphics settings.

Conclusion:
Semprons are generally slower than their Athlon XP counterpart . Their model numbers are only useful to compare with other processers of the same product line. You will likely need to check your mainboard manual to see if it can support Athlon XP or Athlon 64 but I think they use different types of sockets and so you will likely need to get a new mainboard.

Graphics card barely makes the cut I believe. But you will want to keep your settings down until you get something with Pixel Shader 3.0.

Needs a new CPU, mainboard and another stick of ram. Anything less will likely result in difficult and/or uncomfortable gameplay IMHO.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Well DH can try it after getting just the ram and see if his gaming experience improves to a satisfactory level. Maybe the Sempron can handle it. But it seems to me that it's one product line behind what the game was made for so I wouldn't be surprised if there were still performance issues. Still I suppose I could be wrong and I hope I am in this case. It would save DH some money if so.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

It's kinda sad NWN2 requires so 'tough' computers. I think the game looses quite a few 'old' players, by it's requirements. Then again, if it did not require what it does, the graphics would be lower, which would mean players complaining anyway. People have to upgrade computers at some point anyway. :mrgreen:
Official Linkin Park fan!
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Rami_Ahmed wrote:It's kinda sad NWN2 requires so 'tough' computers. I think the game looses quite a few 'old' players, by it's requirements. Then again, if it did not require what it does, the graphics would be lower, which would mean players complaining anyway. People have to upgrade computers at some point anyway. :mrgreen:
I agree, though some of us cant afford to upgrade any time soon, ( currently for me, any time for a long time )
Which is annoying because I was looking forward to trying the toolset.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Well until costs of upgrading merit it for other applications just doing it for one game program is not worth the costs. I do artwork and right now my system is perfect for that output. Maybe next year when there are more programs that I want out I will be upgrading. For now I'm happy with NWN1.
The world is a strange place.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I would not worry. I can already feel the game improving in performance with each update. I have had further improvements to my framerate since upgrading to 1.02. Obsidian is currently doing all they can to support and address the problems. Those with the equipment to pioneer the beginnings of the NWN2 community will pave the way for the rest for when they eventually upgrade.
_Murdock_
Count
Count

Post by _Murdock_ »

pfff.....got a Radeon 9700 pro on a pent 4 CPU 3.0GHz with 2,00GB ram and it stil laggy....and it dosn't run on my other 2 PC's......one I can get a better card...the other one nope.....

means big money to keep playing NWN (NWN2)......it's a game right ?
I see many players of our current base not able to join us for a while because of the investments to get a better videocard or adequate PC... and that I hate, because it means I will not see some players I like to play with.

So I hope that for a while we can keep playing BSK on the original NWN (for those who can't affort a better videocard or better PC)

Of course this is my personal view.....
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

_Murdock_ wrote:pfff.....got a Radeon 9700 pro on a pent 4 CPU 3.0GHz with 2,00GB ram and it stil laggy....and it dosn't run on my other 2 PC's......one I can get a better card...the other one nope.....
That machine should deffinately be running NWN2 pretty good. Have you updated the game? Also, try changing the video settings. It really should work on a machine like that. Perhaps the computer has a totally different problem?
Official Linkin Park fan!
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

WOW while typin this been talking to my main dealer ..

Well to upgrade my comp for new motherborad and processor im looking at £130 or $260 for new RAM id be looking at £40 or $80 and for new GFX card with plenty of room to spare with the pixel shader 3.0 id be loking at £120 or $220...so its gona be an expensive new year teehee..

but im going to be gettin NWN2 next week and i will try and run it at the lowest settings and see what happens but atm paying out a total of £290 or $580 id a large chunk outta anyones wallet but ahhh well needs must when the devil drives :twisted:
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

[quote="DM Dragonheart"]WOW
its gona be an expensive new year teehee..

I will get the game but it will stay un_opened untill well after Xmax and new year :(
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

NWN2 is not CPU limited, your RAM and GFX are all you need to upgrade.

-driller
DM Dragonheart wrote:WOW while typin this been talking to my main dealer ..

Well to upgrade my comp for new motherborad and processor im looking at £130 or $260 for new RAM id be looking at £40 or $80 and for new GFX card with plenty of room to spare with the pixel shader 3.0 id be loking at £120 or $220...so its gona be an expensive new year teehee..

but im going to be gettin NWN2 next week and i will try and run it at the lowest settings and see what happens but atm paying out a total of £290 or $580 id a large chunk outta anyones wallet but ahhh well needs must when the devil drives :twisted:
Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song
Baron
Baron

Post by Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song »

I just got back from Comp USA for my upgrade. I went to Microcenter first to see what they can do. Let me give you guys a fair warning. If you have a Micro Center near you, Don't go. For a bunch of computer experts they know squat about gaming. Honestly it took them an hour of avoiding my questions and pretending they knew what they were talking about for me to say "Screw you, you don't know $#!+ , I'm going somewhere else."

Sure Comp USA was a little more expensive but they walked me step by step through my upgrade. They went from cheap upgrade, to medium upgrade, to highest upgrade.

Cheap upgrade didn't work. Medium upgrade worked. High upgrade was sweet looking. I still went with the medium to save money though. What helped a lot is that the people that work there all owned NWN2 and were gaming fanatics. Sure they were more fans of Oblivion and WarCrack but hey. You pick your poison.

You're right Driller. I had to buy more RAM and a new GFX but its worth it considering my CPU is old and outdated anyway.

Total Cost w/labor was ~$200. I guess you have to decide if you think it is worth your money. I already bought the game and my B-Day was yesterday so I had the money to spend.
Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song: First Knight of Blood