NWN2

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Each core on my AMD64 runs at 2.2 ghz

While the game itself uses only one of the cores, the toolset can hyperthread the rendering and compiling work lickety split! Of course, the GPU is a bigger influence on gaming performance than the CPU in this case.
The only constant is change.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

oooh need new glasses dont I I thought it said 4.24 and a 4.30 were the required and reccomended :P
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

It's blind as a B-A-T, not blind as a C-A-T. Gheesh, you'd think you were kept in a dark house or something. :P
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

Well from the reports ive been getting and a chat with a very good friend who has played NWN from day one i dont think i will be buying NWN2 in the next forseeable future if its as bad as ive been told...scratchy graphics ..combat sessions very laggy etc and that was on a system capable of running the game with plenty of room to spare :S
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

DM Dragonheart wrote:Well from the reports ive been getting and a chat with a very good friend who has played NWN from day one i dont think i will be buying NWN2 in the next forseeable future if its as bad as ive been told...scratchy graphics ..combat sessions very laggy etc and that was on a system capable of running the game with plenty of room to spare :S
DM Dragonheart-

I think I was pretty doggone harsh in my initial reviews. That's because for the bucks- I expected to get something thats playable the first time. I certainly did not. However.. since the patch came out.. and once loaded.. the game runs just fine now. Even on my lap top (which is barely the minimum spec).

There's the getting used to the changes thing.. but that's a mechanical and "just get used to it" issue. Small tweaks. Its very playable and fun now. Its video heavy.. but its a single player campaign. From that standpoint.. its a lot of money for a SP type game. And there's tons of questions as to how it will roll to the PW setting.. BUT.. it does look good... its still NwN. The real test will be in how this translates into the PW world.

This game had its issues right from the development stage. Delayed releases, etc. My expectation was that by the time it WAS released, that there would be no bugs concerning running the game.. that it run awesome. I expected to love some of the new stuff.. and not like some of it.. but that's not a palyability issue. The patch was out within 12 hours after I installed it...which was awesome. So.. they are doing their part.. it just made an awfully bad first impression.

My biggest issue was just not being able to play the game because of the slowness/hickups etc. Now that it can play... its a matter of accepting change. There is a ton of cool new features, and I'm trying the new Warlock class. From that perspective- you are spending money on something that is "new".. its not rehash.

Like any new software... it tends to be buggy initially... once that wears off.. gotta put the time into it to see what they REALLY did.. and if it standsup to really being a game that they pushed forward a bit.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Ofcourse the roleplay discussion of "blind as a cat in a dark room" did come up lastnight..... *chuckles*

NWN took about 2 years to 'become' fun, with the builder community making new content and all.

I think the player creation is pretty limiting, it wasn't even as good as D&D onlines character creation, which Atari had thier hands in promoting as well.

I can't judge it completely without seeing the toolset, but, I consider it a waste of 60 bucks. :/
Just think of all the donuts a fat blind-cat could buy with that? ;)
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

Well after pricing up what it will cost me to upgrade/buy two new comps sadly i wont be buying it just so i can run it..i will be spending my hard earned cash elsewhere i think heheheh :)

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I am curious, what are your specs?

-driller
DM Dragonheart wrote:Well after pricing up what it will cost me to upgrade/buy two new comps sadly i wont be buying it just so i can run it..i will be spending my hard earned cash elsewhere i think heheheh :)
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

I'm in the same boat as DH. I have a laptop with a Mobile Radeon 9600, but it runs at 64MB video memory. I have heard that the card is capable of 128MB, but I'm a bit concerned about overclocking it and destroying my computer over playing one game.

Although, if anyone is aware of any tips on getting it to work without this problem, I'd welcome suggestions.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

If performance is not optimal even after updating and you have dual core then it's a good idea to look at the readme file in the ..\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2 folder for links to optimization drivers and tips on how to set the game's core affinity.
The only constant is change.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

I bought NWN2 when it came out in Europe, 3rd November. I too, at first, was quite dissappointed. Even after updating the patch. At first, I thought there were no emotes, no way of examining and a lot of other dissapointing things.

But I quickly found at, that everything possible in NWN1, is possible in NWN2 too. + a lot more. As I got along in the game (I played the OC), I found out how to do everything (mostly by coincidence, since I hate reading manuals)...
The OC is extremely well made and very, very entertaining. It has a good story line, and really caught me. It was never too difficult, but never too easy either. I played it as a human sorcerer.

That said, NWN2 has downsides. There's not that many emotes, I haven't found a way to craft the appearance of items (might be possible, though). The quickslot system is slightly more dissappointing, compared to NWN1's. You can't use shift or ctrl for entering extra quick slots, not that I know of anyway. And it seems to me that the spell-to-quickslots are slightly more "uneasy" to do, if it should be done quickly. But, it may be something which one should just adjust to.

Overall I believe that the money is well spend on NWN2. The game's graphics are really well done, and the game truly is 4 years ahead of technology, compared to NWN1. Of course, it requires computers that are 4 years ahead of NWN1, too.
Official Linkin Park fan!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Try hitting enter and typing for example /laugh /pray /worship etc to
trigger an emote.

There are more quickslots, I can't remember offhand how to add them, maybe the alt key? I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

-driller
Rami_Ahmed wrote:I bought NWN2 when it came out in Europe, 3rd November. I too, at first, was quite dissappointed. Even after updating the patch. At first, I thought there were no emotes, no way of examining and a lot of other dissapointing things.

But I quickly found at, that everything possible in NWN1, is possible in NWN2 too. + a lot more. As I got along in the game (I played the OC), I found out how to do everything (mostly by coincidence, since I hate reading manuals)...
The OC is extremely well made and very, very entertaining. It has a good story line, and really caught me. It was never too difficult, but never too easy either. I played it as a human sorcerer.

That said, NWN2 has downsides. There's not that many emotes, I haven't found a way to craft the appearance of items (might be possible, though). The quickslot system is slightly more dissappointing, compared to NWN1's. You can't use shift or ctrl for entering extra quick slots, not that I know of anyway. And it seems to me that the spell-to-quickslots are slightly more "uneasy" to do, if it should be done quickly. But, it may be something which one should just adjust to.

Overall I believe that the money is well spend on NWN2. The game's graphics are really well done, and the game truly is 4 years ahead of technology, compared to NWN1. Of course, it requires computers that are 4 years ahead of NWN1, too.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

driller wrote:Try hitting enter and typing for example /laugh /pray /worship etc to
trigger an emote.
Ah, didn't think of that.
driller wrote: There are more quickslots, I can't remember offhand how to add them, maybe the alt key? I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

-driller
Yes, there's loads. You gotta use shift+(1-10), but it's still a bit more clunky than just pressing shift/ctrl.
:wink:
Official Linkin Park fan!
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

ok Driller heres my comp runing specs as of wednesday nov 8

System ... amd Sempron 2500+
1.76ghz,512mb RAM
GFX card is a Radeon 9550 Excalibur
64/128/256/128 bit ddr memory
Smartshader 2.0
Smoothvision 2.1
Hyper Z III+
Videoshader fullstream AGP 8X
VGA,TV-OUT DVI-I supported

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

That system should run it on low detail. Low detail in NWN2 looks better than high detail in NWN1 IMHO.

-driller
DM Dragonheart wrote:ok Driller heres my comp runing specs as of wednesday nov 8

System ... amd Sempron 2500+
1.76ghz,512mb RAM
GFX card is a Radeon 9550 Excalibur
64/128/256/128 bit ddr memory
Smartshader 2.0
Smoothvision 2.1
Hyper Z III+
Videoshader fullstream AGP 8X
VGA,TV-OUT DVI-I supported