NWN2

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

driller wrote:I disagree with you, the graphics are light years ahead of NWN1, even on the lowest settings. Their is 3d grass in NWN2. Open the toolset.

You can adjust the gamma settings to brighten up the game.

The problem I have with NWN2 is the combat, the place where most players spend 90% of their time. It is just awful, to static, weak sounds and missing animations.

-driller

Driller.. let me clarify- that might be in the toolset.. but not in the finished SP campaign module (which I spent 4.5 hours playing through last night). Yes.. graphically, the resolution/detail are all higher.... and while it looks cool when you build your character (character in the builder screens) the detail is incredible- but as soon as you go in game ... all that is gone.. and you are back to pretty much the same skins as the old game (yes, with new colors and designs and such.) The mobs (some of them) were worse in detail than in NwN 1. Which surpized me.
And I do agree with you.. the combat is clunky at best. When you read the manual about the features they've added.. those are all great games design improvements. But what I see on my screen was a step backwards.
When I look at a game.. I'm pretty critical on game play. You know farily quickly if the action part runs well, if combat is set up well, and if your menus and such are easy to use. When I first played NwN1- it was immediately playable.. and fun.. NwN2.. the opposite. NwN1 hooked me from the first minute I played it.. with its ease of play. I'm sure, that after a while you get used to it (like all games).. but my first impression was bad.
It just has more of a "cartoonish" feel to (more like WoW) than NwN1.

ON the bright side.. the animations and cut scenes are top notch.. of course you are not playing the game while you're watching them.. but.. they were done very well.

Also.. the interior (dungeon) models.. are better.. and they look good.. but...

Nope.. system and video card are state of the art, and well over the rated quals to run the game. I run 2142 and Oblivion maxed and have no issues.

There might be some driver conflicts ( I have latest Nvidia release).. on the video side.. if so.. that's kind of crappy. Would like to hear from others running the game with the ATI cards if they have the same problems.

It just makes me very curious how this will run in a PW setting. If the tool set does offer terrain models and all that are more detailed- what how will that impact server side and client side performance.

Suffice to say.. I put the game back in the box... and put it on my shelf last night..
And logged into BSK.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Oh.. I forgot to mention....

They also forgot to put more Barbarians and more gold in NwN2...

Silly game designers....
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

Sadly ill be spending my hard earned cash to upgrade my comp to be able to run NWN2 so its gonna be a looooong time before i get to play NWN2..but ill still be happy to play on NWN and keep plodding on till my machine is capable of running it*sighs*...but they say patience is a virtue
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
Shiek2005
Baron
Baron

Post by Shiek2005 »

I'll just let PCGamer judge NWN2 for me, from thier review score i'll decide whether to buy it or not.
oPlayer
Knight
Knight

Post by oPlayer »

It's every bit the game nwn was and more. Im having a blast playing the campaign.

It's pretty simple really.. if you like nwn.. You will love nwn2.. plain and simple. IF you can run it decently. :P
-Juzaum (A.K.A. Felonious- Master Crafter)
"Having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have!"
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Hey DH! Doncha mean, "Paitence is a vulture"? :P

*giggles*
~Demitri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

:crybaby: still waitting for it to come out so i can get my hands on it and play :(
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
Ensign
Knight
Knight
Location: Leodis, the West Riding of the County of York, England

Post by Ensign »

What colour forge stone do I need to put in my graphics card !

(Anyone wanting to buy a 128mb Radeon 9200?)

What did Bill Gates say in the 80's..I see no circumstance in which a computer will need more than 640k of memory!
"Bring forth the Holy Handgrenade of Antihoch"
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Well it don't run well enough on my computer to even worry about attempting to play.

I cannot open the toolset, my nVidia Geforce 5700 with 256megs ram, gives an error message and drops the toolset instantly to the desktop when I attempt to run it.

Atari never apparently listened to me on this during beta, ( and stupid me, I preordered before beta, and before they raised the estimated requirements, )
Now the box says reqs are 4.3 gig processor, 1gig ram and 256megs video ram. etc etc.

No way can i afford a brand new computer to run it any time for er.. years ( lottery winning would be the exception lol )

Poor lil newbie test character teleported from one clicked location ( without any animation of walking ) to another during my attempts.

Atari once again wasted our money by overdoing the graphics...

*puts the 60 dollars of game upon the shelf to collect dust*

My review is done and over.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Are you sure it says 4.3 ghz? The reason that your Geforce 5700 will not run it is because it doesn't have shader 2.0.

This is the exact same card that my brother runs NWN2 with and it runs fine. It is only 69.00 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814195027

-driller
T'banyin wrote:Well it don't run well enough on my computer to even worry about attempting to play.

I cannot open the toolset, my nVidia Geforce 5700 with 256megs ram, gives an error message and drops the toolset instantly to the desktop when I attempt to run it.

Atari never apparently listened to me on this during beta, ( and stupid me, I preordered before beta, and before they raised the estimated requirements, )
Now the box says reqs are 4.3 gig processor, 1gig ram and 256megs video ram. etc etc.

No way can i afford a brand new computer to run it any time for er.. years ( lottery winning would be the exception lol )

Poor lil newbie test character teleported from one clicked location ( without any animation of walking ) to another during my attempts.

Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Hey folks-

I umm.. installed the updates... and this greatly, greatly improved the game performance, and its now very playable... with no issues (yet), on the max settings- ( My game system is a p4 2.0/1gig ram/Nvidia 7800GT card.

I even installed the game on my Qosmio AV-513- thats a P4/2.0, with a geforcego 6600 card, and 1.5 gigs of ram... and a 5400 rpm harddrive...
It runs pretty ok on that... with the settings turned down.

I dunno WHAT the problem was with vs. 1.0 of the game.. but 1.1 runs just fine now it seems. Had to be a driver conflict of some sort.
Last edited by Doofy Britches on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

driller wrote:Are you sure it says 4.3 ghz? The reason that your Geforce 5700 will not run it is because it doesn't have shader 2.0.

This is the exact same card that my brother runs NWN2 with and it runs fine. It is only 69.00 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814195027

-driller
T'banyin wrote:Well it don't run well enough on my computer to even worry about attempting to play.

Notice in this scan, that the req tag is a 'sticky' they placed over the boxes original reqs which is what they had required during beta.

Hmm.. 70bucks aint too bad, if I knew for sure they would cure my woes :P

But still I may not be affording a new card soon for awhile.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz.

-driller
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

T'banyin-

Look a wee bit closer- they have bad punctuation.. the recommended processor is a Pentium 4, 3.0ghz or higher...

Should run on a P4, 2.4ghz or higher... mines a 2.0... and its just fine(now) after the patch.

Just make sure you have the shader version Driller mentioned...
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

By the way, Luceran has the above linked video card and he said it runs fine. That's two people with that card and they have had no problems.

-driller