NWN2

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWN2

Post by driller »

I now have the full version in my hands. I will try put up the beginnings of BSK2 this weekend. Don't expect much though.

-driller
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

pfft. don't get paid for 8 days. ergo, no NWN2 for 8 days. :(
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

Sadly i wont be gettin it till end of Nov possibly later ..but still be fun when i get it :)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

Bleh
DM Dragonheart wrote:Sadly i wont be gettin it till end of Nov possibly later ..but still be fun when i get it :)
Im in the same boat has DH i wont have it untill Nov :crybaby: ...*looks forward to getting it when it comes out and playing it*
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

I, sadly, will not be getting it for the forseeable future. It requires 128mb video memory, and my laptop only has 64 (Radeon 9600). Oh well. Gives me an excuse to write my NaNoWriMo novel. Well, that and continue to work on having a 40th level character someday.
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Post by sgtshin »

I think I'm picking it up tonight.. but I'm not sure why..

Cause I'll be logging into BSK....
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
Rune Brodersen
Knight
Knight

Post by Rune Brodersen »

omg.. I WANT NWN2!!!!
please tell me about it!
is it good?
any new stuff?
good graphics?
can your comps run it?
i want details!!! :)
Just hit the respawn button allready..
The SRM
Knight
Knight

Post by The SRM »

ok guys I have been playing it for about an hour now I will give a little review...

CAMPAIGN
I enterted the Campiagn mode for awhile and I got a little settled.. the camera movement and the character movement is MUCH slower ( an effect with it being a new game, for some reason stuf flike that is slower in newer gamers) The combat is about the same, you should be very familiar with it. I wasn't having too much fun in the singleplayer though, after all, NWN is known for it's multiplayer. The graphics are very impressive, I was creating my character and I stumbled across the Half Orc race and I jumped in my chair!!! Everything is soo much more realistic looking now.

MULTIPLAYER
It is so different! They took out a lot of things, I really don't know why.. The voice commands are gone ( there are emotes but only 8 or so) the chat/combat interface is stacked on top of each other instead of side by side, the chatting is a tad weird, but hey, this is NWN 2's first day, you can't expect the world from it without it getting time to patch all the fixes ( one is out already but ehh)

CHARACTER CREATION
The character creation is so much more free now, you actually customize the character, to get the look you want now. There is face styles, hair styles, eye color, eyebrow color, optional facial hair, (woohoo no more " I am 40 and I havent grown facial hair yet!!" hair colors, and hair highlights. There are a ton of new classes, probably about 10-15 if I remember correctly. Each class comes with its own style of clothing, I LOVED that part. Such as, Barbarian has a cloth with individual shoulders added, a Fighter is wearing a huge chainmail, a rogue is wearing a leather outfit with a hood, etc. There are some new skills, but they may just be the same ones but with different names. The feats are about the same, there are about 10 new ones, but I really do not know much about them yet. The voicesets are the same from the orginial NWN, and you can still create your own bio.

HARDWARE
Ohh I forgot the hardware with the graphics... I have 2 gigs and a 6800 gt but I was still getting some slowness with the settings beefed all the way up, even with the settings turned down a tad, it looked about the same and I was still going!! I cant really say much about those with older hardware, as I had no way to test that, but you will find out sooner or later eh?

CONCLUSION
Those who are getting it later, I have no advantages over you except for knwoing the controls a little more, once the multiplayer becomes establish (and BSK 2) this game will blow everyones minds away!

I give it ( NWN Hardcore fan biased) 9/10
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Ok..-geez.. what the hell can I say?

NwN2 ...... SUCKS!!!!!

As a gamer who has better than 400 game titles in his collection.. I can tell you this was a waste. Ok.. there's the opinion... here's the detail.

I run a P4 2.0, win XP, 1 gig ram, and a Nvidia 7800GT card, on a cable modem.

Character Graphics- character creation and detail is an A+. Great character detail.. inumberable selections... great customization. If you love to create highly customized characters that can't move in the game because the performance is so bad.. you're going to love it!

Game Graphics- Major let down. Not nearly as much detail as the old NwN1, and especially with terrain...some of the haks and such that are out there for NwN 1 are wwwayyy better. Just the same (or worse)rehash in the new game. The grass doesn't even appear in 3d or move!
I've got MUCH better terrain models with NwN1 haks .. the Castlevania mod is a great example of "Oblivion-like" terrain, rendered on the old engine.. and that's mind blowing.. but/and its totally missing here. However, I've not been able to pull up the too set to see what's possible.. just discussing what was put in the single player campaign. There was a distinct improvement from Morrowind to Oblivion.. I'm stuggling to find one here... of course..hard to tell with performance so bad.

Game performance- to be honest.. camera scrolling sucks... veeeery slow, screen scrolling.. though.. cool choices for angles. Game is choppy as hell, and to be honest.. is so bad it isn't isn't interesting or even fun. My system runs Oblivion maxed out, and has much better performance than this game did. And I do mean much better.
I am most disapointed with the controls, and the the actual performance of the game. Controls are clunky at best.. and the menus boxes are more clunky too.. I like the old style better. Its cleaner.

Sounds- its the same damn sounds as NwN1.. and I mean everything (so far) what's new there? nothin.... thereis a new "wolf dying" sound.

Campaign- well... story line is interesting.. but getting mandatory PC's added is a bummer. Why can't I choose to include, or not include NPC's? The movies and graphics for the this are OK- top notch actually.

Gameplay- Playing a half-0rc fighter (Sugroth style) ... well.. nothing was challenging.. though there is a slider to bump that up.. .pretty cool to have a slider... the camera contols and jerkiness are so bad...that its almost too much crap going on to see the nitty gritty of combat. You know what? This game is DARK. I mean.. the lighting.. its just too damn dark. I don't like it...

Overall look- You know what? I just got WoW and began to play it.. and if you really want my honest opinion... it looks to me like.. they used WoW to model this game. Everything has a more "toon-ish" appearance, where the old game looked more like D&D. I was hoping that the models had a more realistic feel and look.. and they look more fake... cartoonish. I'm very disapointed. Once I got in a dungeon.. things got a little better... (graphically wise).

MObs- you know.. I don't see same level of detail on the mobs.. as I do the characters.. actually.. some of them really suck! So far, just dwarves, wolves, bandits, lizardmen, beatles, bandits..maybe there's better stuff further on.

My initial impression is that I do feel I just wasted my $50... thats for sure.. so now its time to go back an log into BSK... and play some real D&D type stuff..

If you all are interested in seeing what you can do with NwN1.. let me know here, and (if Driller says its OK) .. I'll post a link to a mod called Castlevania.. where the terrain and all is so damn beautiful, and realistic... you'll crap your pants.. (I did)... and you can experience what the old toolset is capable of. And its honestly not that hak intensive.

I was hoping NwN2 would maintain the fluidity of NwN1... and that more than just the PC's would gain huge leaps in graphic detail... without sacrificing game performance.... but sadly.. this isn't the case in this first run through. I'm honestly angry.. and I'm wondering how on earth we are going to be able to even remotely hope to play on BSK2... if I can't run the mod on my PC ... how the hell will it run and be on a PW.. with mulitple people?

:-(

Sugroth
Last edited by Doofy Britches on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Doofy, that's actually why I'm not going to buy it for quite some time. I think that Obsidian made a choice to make NWN2 a game that you need a high end machine to run it on. I have a pretty high end machine (for a laptop 3.06GhtzHT), but lack the video card to get it to work. I have no doubts it'll work on lower systems but not well.

It's kind of the same mistake they made when making Ultima 9. I actually enjoyed it... Once I could play the damn thing. When it first came out, it was really not playable on most computers of that time. It wasn't until two years later or so that the average PC owner could play it and by that time no one was interested.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Yeah..

though Viobane.. I can honestly tell you it was not fun. It just wasn't.

I'm pretty new to NwN... (Jan 06).... and I can say...from the 1st moment I logged onto a PW.. (Arelith).. I was hooked.

The graphics were good.. the interface was simple.. and the damn thing ran very well... it was easy to navigate the functions.. it was easy to roll up and play.. and NwN was the very first experience I had had with online games..

This thing is just BULKY. Too much crap.. to dark.. detail is focused on the charachter.. but only at creation.. all that's lost in the actual game. and the interface.. (comparitively) is clunky (at best)

Game performance (ALONE) is enough for me to rate this a 4 out of 10.
How will it translate to the PW realm if you can't even run the damn thing on you your own PC?

Just guessin here.. but it looks to me like this game needs (minimum)
P4 2.0+/2 gig ram/nvidia 7800gtx card or better to run correctly.
Last edited by Doofy Britches on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Luna778803
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Luna778803 »

Ahhh, that sounds absolutely amazing. The different selections for clothing depending on classes sounds very promising. I can't wait to go run out and buy it as soon as possible!
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Post by sgtshin »

I have to agree with Doofy B here.

My first run through was a major dispointment. Horrible really.. the game was not really playable on my top end system.

Honestly.. after a couple hours checking this out.. I think the NwN1 community will be alive and well.. for quite some time to come.

:( :x
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I disagree with you, the graphics are light years ahead of NWN1, even on the lowest settings. Their is 3d grass in NWN2. Open the toolset.

You can adjust the gamma settings to brighten up the game.

The problem I have with NWN2 is the combat, the place where most players spend 90% of their time. It is just awful, to static, weak sounds and missing animations.

-driller

Game Graphics- Major let down. Not nearly as much detail as the old NwN1, and especially with terrain...some of the haks and such that are out there for NwN 1 are wwwayyy better. Just the same (or worse)rehash in the newe game. The grass doesn't even appear in 3d or move!
I've got MUCH better terrain models with NwN1 haks .. the Castlevania mod is a great example of "Oblivion-like" terrain, rendered on the old engine.. and that's mind blowing.. but/and its totally missing here.
This game is DARK. I mean.. the lighting.. its just too damn dark. I don't like it...
Shiek2005
Baron
Baron

Post by Shiek2005 »

Hey Doofy, why don't you fire it up and play it for 4-6 hours? (not in a single day of course) you can't judge a game by the first few areas you see or play in. Camara slowness was probably due to your computer specs (i had the same problem on NWN before i bought a new comp in April).

BTW im running on an AMD 2.00GHz Dual Core Processor, 2GBs RAM and an ATI Radeon X1300 (512MBs VRAM). Im confident i can run NWN2 well enough because i don't think NWN2s system req's can be any worst than Oblivion (you guys do know that Oblivion broke the record of highest system req's to play it don't ya?).

A Best Buy (local electronic's shop) advertisement paper led me to believe that they would have NWN2 on Nov 11 so i decided to buy Battlefield 2142 instead 2 weeks ago, sadly though if i had waiting i would used that money to buy NWN2 yesterday so now i'll be waiting to buy it around Xmas.

Cheers!