Blackstone 2

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

How in the world will people be able to host NWN2 PW's which can actually be considered 'worlds' if they are going to increase in size exponentually compared to NWN1?

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:How in the world will people be able to host NWN2 PW's which can actually be considered 'worlds' if they are going to increase in size exponentually compared to NWN1?

Myle
I think that the NWN2 server is made to host more than 1 module at the time. So what 'we' should do is, make 1 module for the large city (as an example), then link this module to a module with some monster areas or whatever. I really hope the NWN2 server can host more modules at one time, or else, this would practicly be impossible, without really going hard on the server computers. (Imagine 10-11 instances of NWN2 server running on same server computer...)
Official Linkin Park fan!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I wouldn't count on it...

-driller
Rami_Ahmed wrote:
ST_DM_Myle wrote:How in the world will people be able to host NWN2 PW's which can actually be considered 'worlds' if they are going to increase in size exponentually compared to NWN1?

Myle
I think that the NWN2 server is made to host more than 1 module at the time. So what 'we' should do is, make 1 module for the large city (as an example), then link this module to a module with some monster areas or whatever. I really hope the NWN2 server can host more modules at one time, or else, this would practicly be impossible, without really going hard on the server computers. (Imagine 10-11 instances of NWN2 server running on same server computer...)
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

driller wrote:I wouldn't count on it...
Then how on earth are we supposed to host large PWs? :shock:
Shiek2005
Baron
Baron

Post by Shiek2005 »

Rami_Ahmed wrote:
driller wrote:I wouldn't count on it...
Then how on earth are we supposed to host large PWs? :shock:
According to a friend of mine's theory you can't, unless of course you fork out 6k - 8k on a supper computer just to host a PW. Honestly i see the future of PWs very grim...so peeps forget about 400 area modules and start getting used to small hard core RP server.....LOL :roll:
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Who knows, though.... The NWN2 team could be preparing for Windows Vista and the larger processing power needed for it. They could have been considering the lifetime of the first game and are planning to add on more graphically intense content. Which means us with computers that are well suited to this generation could be out of luck.

However, I'm sure they know all about the high number of mods out there and PW content and will have something in store so that people are still able to have their worlds. After all, they will have the OC available for multiplayer online, I think, although they could be using their uber-servers to do it.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I'm not sure if this is the same for NWN, but i would never run a server on windows.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Unfortunately since the graphics engine for NWN2 uses DirectX, it will only be available exclusively on windows. The first NWN used OpenGL which is a crossplatform standard and so it could be ported to Linux and Mac.

I find it unfortunate that it will only be available on one platform. Apparently it was Atari's call and not Obsidian's to go this route.

As for Vista, from what I have read, as a resource hog, it's an order of magnitude greater than Windows XP. I am not certain how they will keep performance from dropping let alone seeing an improvement in performance from using it for hosting a mod.

I estimate early NWN2 PWs will be unlikely to exceed 100 areas on a modern PC with 2 gigs of ram.
The only constant is change.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The other bad thing is that nw2server is the based on the nwserver code.

Nwserver had problems when the RAM usage got over 500 megs.

So, it does look like PWs will be much smaller in size.

-driller
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

driller wrote:The other bad thing is that nw2server is the based on the nwserver code.

-driller
2 words.
That - sucks.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

The word I heard was that PWs will be lucky to have 50 areas. That will mean either areas have multi uses or they will be limited on adventures.

I can see Arena and Social mods doing well with this formate since they don't need much to run.

Also Atari just was told by NASDAQ that they will be removed from the listings because their shares are under $1 (then are now .49). From what I read last night on NASDAQ it might be possible that Atari will be sold. Remember there are two Ataris. Atari inc and Atari Europe. It is Atari inc that is in big trouble.

I think Bioware will survive out of it all but right now it does not look good for Atari.

As for PWs until other options come out they will have to be really small and very limited. Yes the new NWN2 stuff looks great but there are some major problems like Atari did not think that most users don't have high end systems they should of stayed with the norm. Peronally I think they were competing with PS2 and Nintendo more than the other PC systems out there.

I would love to see NWN2 as a PS2 game. I think it would be the bomb. But I just can't afford a high end gaming computer and not many can. If it was 2 more years in the future I think we all could.

I just wonder what areas you will have to leave out Driller to get a working mod that will allow enough people to play and give enough areas to be enjoyable and not make your system have a cow.
The world is a strange place.
Ensign
Knight
Knight
Location: Leodis, the West Riding of the County of York, England

Post by Ensign »

What if limiting the usefulness home grown PWs is the whole point.

The main reason that NWN has lasted so long is that for the users a PW is free.

What if NWN2 has been designed that only those with a business interest can run PW, how long before monthly conscription PW appear?

The premium modules have to be downloaded and you have to have a net connection for it to run, and these can be used in multiplayer mode, what if persistant worlds have to be downloaded or run from a cd, and then run like BSK, but with everyone having a copy. If you do that, its set up nicely for pay for play. Instead of hp, you get gold points before you have to insert the credit card again.

I know that this was mentioned some time ago, as the transision times between areas is going to take a long time, and Driller (this is from memory, not a good sign)said that to speed it up, you may have to download the whole of the PW to your hard drive, and that would mean letting all of his secrets out.
"Bring forth the Holy Handgrenade of Antihoch"
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

There has been several pws who have tried to do the subscription thing and Bioware has sued them. It is in the agreement for those who set up pws that they will always be free. Now once NWN is no longer supported or Atari goes under I don't know who will enforce that licence agreement. I just know I have seen posts on the forums where such pws were reported and Bioware went after them.

If Atari wanted NWN2 as to be pay to play they would of had a company set up a server center and you would have Evercrack and WOW style system and there would be NO toolset.
The world is a strange place.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

They already have a pay to play MMORPG, it is called Dungeon and Dragons Online.

-driller
Jazelle wrote:There has been several pws who have tried to do the subscription thing and Bioware has sued them. It is in the agreement for those who set up pws that they will always be free. Now once NWN is no longer supported or Atari goes under I don't know who will enforce that licence agreement. I just know I have seen posts on the forums where such pws were reported and Bioware went after them.

If Atari wanted NWN2 as to be pay to play they would of had a company set up a server center and you would have Evercrack and WOW style system and there would be NO toolset.
Difas
Duke
Duke

Post by Difas »

driller wrote:The other bad thing is that nw2server is the based on the nwserver code.

-driller
no. the other bad thing is that it is only until level 20.... *is still in shock*
PURPLE!!!!

PLAYING:
Difas Cend: Gnome Bard, Purple Wonder

Zed: Mule :P

Zacho Cend: Druid of Lia, Slayer of Umgahs