Clearing up the rule on pickpocket

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

shaggy1971
Baron
Baron
Location: Loooking behind himself making sure Foxy isnt there

Post by shaggy1971 »

Well if they removed something he pped then obviously he wasnt meant to have it in the first place.. dunno why hes moaning at least his chr is still alive to run around and still carry on his thieving activities
I see rivers of blood and....

Hmmmm perhaps a spleen
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

shaggy1971 wrote:Well if they removed something he pped then obviously he wasnt meant to have it in the first place.. dunno why hes moaning at least his chr is still alive to run around and still carry on his thieving activities
But i was told to give it back because i was caught (rudely to). Had the player in question said "im sorry but that item is not supposed to be able to be pickpocketed could you return it please" or the pp code lagged that is not supposed to be stolen or whatever something along those lines it would have been another case but when it's "Give it back or i will have a dm remove it for you" i believe some clarification of the rules are needed. You get my problem? It's not the item in question (i assume you know that i had no need for it), but merely the way the aftermath was handled (badly imo).
shaggy1971
Baron
Baron

Post by shaggy1971 »

Clearing up on a few things...

Tempers are running high cos atm there are several ppers running amok pping everyone they come across ..

Ok yes its theie given skill but sadly not many players see it like this and soo when a pper is caught stealing then tempers tend to flare up ... as stated if you are caught then in all fact the decent thing to do is hold your hands up and say yep i did it and return the item instantly it saves all the unecassary agro of getting the tells of next time i see you im soo gonna kill your butt *sighs*... :?

Hmmmm perhaps a spleen
GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

Another BAD problem that occurs is when the "give it back" script does fire off and gives the item back to a person that did NOT detect you. Next they start attacking you or going OOC about you being a thief.

If pick pocketers can be nice about returning items, other players can be nice and keep IC and OOC stuff separate.

A message of "Acquired item blue forge stone" is not IC detection of a pick pocket.

Now YOU ALL tell me something. You are standing around chatting with someone in a PvP area and suddenly you get the message "Acquired item blue forge stone". Are you such a great RP'er that you will continue your convesation as is, or will you suddenly run away to a safe place to continue it? I know the answer; therefore there aren't that many REAL RP'ers around. :D
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

obviously, i'd be a real RPer and say "oh look, a UNICORN! But it's in the keep... AHOY!"

:D
_Murdock_
Count
Count

Post by _Murdock_ »

Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:obviously, i'd be a real RPer and say "oh look, a UNICORN! But it's in the keep... AHOY!"

:D
*grins* that's a nice example how it shoud be done
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Part of the problem here is that the PP skill is abused in an OOC fashion so often that, frankly, very few care if it the PP is being done IC or not.

I find it rather ironic when a player of a character who PP's someone wants to argue the semantics of whats fair after they attempt to PP someone and people go hostile to them.

The end result of the abuses associated with PP is in keeping with the moral of the "Boy who cried wolf" story. Just for how long are people supposed to tolerate the PP abuses when almost every PP character claims the exact same lines. People have simply gotten tired of it and most have abopted a policy of "kill first and maybe ask questions" when it comes to PP attacks.

The really interesting thing is that, by in large, PP who are honest and true to the rules, do not whine about being PK'd.

In your situation, specifically LoU, I believe this is the information you need:
(Provided Driller has not changed the code since I last tested it out.)
Forge stones, forged items, bags and items that take up 3 or more inventory squares should not be PP'd. If you manage to PP an item that should not be PP'able, return it. I would suggest meeting to return it in a neutral location.
There should be a 3 PP limit per character per reset scripted in, but the rule of only attempting toPPing the same character 3 times at all in a REAL LIFE 24 hour day is the servers rule.

Now... that said... Players, if yuo take your character into the Blackrose areas, all bets are off. The DM's will not enforce the PP rules inside the Blackrose areas. That region is strictly "enter at your own risk" and if your character gets rolled completely naked by a troop of thieves, your s.o.l.

I do not know if the PP script is activated in Blackrose, but we have recieved complaints about people PP'ing forges and other large items within the Blackrose area. Whether that due to lag or what, I do not know... and since the PP rules are not enforced there... I don't much care.

Those of you who want the victims of PP to RP better, I have a suggestion:
Enforce the thieves guild rules.

If trouble makers and other abusers of the PP skill knew that they risked a full on assualt from the Thieves Guild, it might make a difference.

I can not speak for other DM's, however, I fully support the idea of a Thieves Guild that would IC enforce the traditional rules of thievery.

In fantasy worlds, the Thieves Guild of a city has implied authority over any criminal activity. It is not unusual for the leadership of the City Watch to give leyway to a Thieves Guild if that Thieves Guild keeps petty crime to a level low enough that the citizens do not complain and if violent crime is minimalized.

Just an idea...

Myle

Red lines edited by Demitri to be accurate
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
LordofUndeath
Commoner
Commoner

Post by LordofUndeath »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:In your situation, specifically LoU, I believe this is the information you need:
Forge stones, forged items, bags and items that take up 3 or more inventory squares should not be PP'd. If you manage to PP an item that should not be PP'able, return it. I would suggest meeting to return it in a neutral location.
what do i do ifsay i did managed to PP something, that there was obviosly no restriction in PPing, did not take up 3 or more squares and a dm still took said item. Because the player i PPed was a dm himself?
shaggy1971
Baron
Baron

Post by shaggy1971 »

what do i do ifsay i did managed to PP something, that there was obviosly no restriction in PPing, did not take up 3 or more squares and a dm still took said item. Because the player i PPed was a dm himself?[/quote]

Have you ever stopped and thought why was this item removed... perhaps you arent suppoosed to have this item at all .. therefore it was taken from you...

Now call me naive but all this whining over 1 item is not really many would want to hear about ..

I would suggest focusing your energies on more constructive things ...

All said and done i know that your chr has been killed trespassing in an area its not supposed to be in and when asked to hand over your recall stone in an RP situation you refused and logged out so in all essence stop maoning about an item you pped from another chr and just pick up the pieces reset your stone else where and carry on :)

Hmmmm perhaps a spleen
_Murdock_
Count
Count

Post by _Murdock_ »

bah...all that moaning for what ????

I PP someone today and got a forge stone......sooo....against the rules.
I told him OOC I want to return it to him and did it without both beeing rude.....see......just like that.

What's the point of this threat anyway ? follow the rules simple as that.

For the rest if they are to much OOC chats and threats about it let the DM's or Driller handle it.

*Personal oppinion of course*
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

LordofUndeath wrote:
ST_DM_Myle wrote:In your situation, specifically LoU, I believe this is the information you need:
what do i do ifsay i did managed to PP something, that there was obviosly no restriction in PPing, did not take up 3 or more squares and a dm still took said item. Because the player i PPed was a dm himself?
I have no way of answering this with the information you provided. Unless your willing to reveal what was PP'd, I can not offer any additional significant help.

At the moment, your basically asking for a hypothetical answer to a situation without offering any framework to reference current standards against.

The fact that the identify of this item has been withheld, leads me to suspect that you already know you should not have had the item.

As this thread continues, multiple rumors regarding this have circulated and I must say that some are rather fanciful.

It would be nice if the hints and the implications stopped and you just came out and asked your question plainly and specifically.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Myle's post was edited in red above to reflect the accurate rule. Please make note of the change. Thank you.

~Demitri
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

LordofUndeath wrote:
Irony strikes a tone.
DM Nexus
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Nexus »

LordofUndeath, I agree with Myle, in that without knowing what we are talking about no real answer can be given. You can always send a PM to any of the DM's if you want specific information concerning a specific item.

The Noble Knight silently stands over the bodies of the dozen tyranoids, and scratches his head as he looks down on his naked body.

"What happened to my armor? I had it on not just 2 seconds ago." The knight comments to himself as he shakes his head.

Off in the distance, the young thief smirks and whispers to himself, "Man am I good," as he carefully dodges through the shadows dragging the knight's full plate behind him.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

DM Nexus wrote: The Noble Knight silently stands over the bodies of the dozen tyranoids, and scratches his head as he looks down on his naked body.

"What happened to my armor? I had it on not just 2 seconds ago." The knight comments to himself as he shakes his head.

Off in the distance, the young thief smirks and whispers to himself, "Man am I good," as he carefully dodges through the shadows dragging the knight's full plate behind him.
An old seasoned rogue witnessing the event decides the unschooled rogue needs a permanent lesson from the guild that the younger rogue had joined. Blades flash fromt he deeper shadows where even the trained younger rogue cannot see, and a head is soon collected as well as the bounty fo the thieves stealings returned.

// Definately a possibility here, since younger thieves on the server become a menace to an 'organisation' if they don't follow the rules. Consequently getting 'established rogues' in the soup as well, unless these elder rogues act.
Perhaps in your situation you were only trying to find the correct ruel here nd you do act with understandings of the laws of the land ( or underlaws as it is ) More often than not you will find elder rogues, not on your side if you are not very descriminant about your professional activities.
I'd also like to say, that if you are going to pick at all, HIDE please and atleast make a similance of being stealthy about it, the 'run pick' is an instant death sentence, because you have alerted your target.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~