Druid Questions

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Ariakas
Commoner
Commoner

Druid Questions

Post by Ariakas »

Hello i made my first character in Blackstonekeep. This is also my first character in nwn. I didn't have the chance to play when it was first released. I leveled my character as 24 druid/ 8 monk and 1 shadowdancer by following a guide. Final built is planned to be 28d/9m/3sd. I am playing as dragonform/caster hybrid and using shadowdancer for his Hide in Plain Sight. I recently got dragonshape at level 32. i have some questions about build and server:

1. My Dragonform has 78 AC buffed, 780 Health. Is this enough for going toe to toe with high level monsters? I can kill Hell Giants but when there are 3 of them they can kill me.

2. Which items merge in Dragonshape? Can i increase armour further with items?

3. HiPS is not always working. Some mobs can see me. Is this because of their true sight?

4. Will dragonshape be weak at level 40? I heard there are +20 weapons/items. Will dragon buffs be insignificant compared to a fighter with those items?

5. Druid spells seems to be weak. I try to cast stonehold but many mobs are mind immune. Other damage spells are not great from what i see aside from storm of vengeance. Is this server melee focused in that respect?

I have these questions in my mind right now.
Ming
Baron
Baron

Re: Druid Questions

Post by Ming »

1- 78 ac isn't amazing, but its doable in groups or with careful play. Though you will learn dragon shapes biggest flaw is pathfinding with such a huge body.
2-Armor, Helmet, Shield, rings, amulet, cloak, boots will all merge. However your highest bonus AC item will be converted to a deflection bonus and all other armor bonuses will be ignored. They all convert to deflection so only the highest wins out. This is also true for say items that give you wisdom, if you have 3 +4 wisdom pieces giving you the max of +12, when you shift you will get one of the +4s not the rest of them. So diversity is key here, like +4 dex, +4 wisdom, +4 dodge bonus (haste bonus does stack with dodge bonus thanks to how its calculated)
3-2 things, first if you didnt invest in hiding and move silently your hips will be unreliable. 2nd yes true sight allows everything to see you regardless of stealth.
4-If you mean as far as your melee damage output? Yes you will be inferior to a fighter of that level as far as AB goes. But don't forget you can spam breath attacks, which can make up for this by alot.
5-The biggest problem with NWN in general is that in the epic levels casters don't scale well with attack spells. Its true for the whole game though, its not a server specific thing. In a low magic world even with this issue casters can be gods, in a high magic world, typically the melee classes start way outdoing them with the combination of ever advancing ab, and the fact their arms never get tired, but you have to rest to get your spells back. This of course becomes even more pronounced as monster hp increases but your spell damage doesn't.
Ariakas
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ariakas »

Ty very much for reply. I understand better now. As for mergable items, I have found gloves and belts which have slash/blunt/piercing resistance on them. If they were mergable, they would help me survive better but they seem to be not mergable. Can i find melee resistance properties from other items like helmet or cloak? And when merged will resistances be active on Dragonshape?

I encounter runes that give like 5% blunt resistance when socketed. Are they important? What i understand is i need to stack them to be effective.

As for Hips, i have high hide/move silently skills. I easily disappear from normal mobs without true sight. Though those giants catch me everytime.
Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

Ariakas wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm Ty very much for reply. I understand better now. As for mergable items, I have found gloves and belts which have slash/blunt/piercing resistance on them. If they were mergable, they would help me survive better but they seem to be not mergable. Can i find melee resistance properties from other items like helmet or cloak? And when merged will resistances be active on Dragonshape?

I encounter runes that give like 5% blunt resistance when socketed. Are they important? What i understand is i need to stack them to be effective.

As for Hips, i have high hide/move silently skills. I easily disappear from normal mobs without true sight. Though those giants catch me everytime.
Giants have true sight. If you examine an enemy with the radial menu you can see all buffs they have. Including true seeing. Yes you will be able to find it from other things. Sadly gloves don't merge if they did combat gloves would be perfect for dragons and shifters. The resistance gems you are looking at dont stack as such they are pretty worthless overall imo. Belts are mergable I thought I had listed it in the list, that is my mistake. The only things that will not merge to dragon form are your weapon, and your gloves.