Powerbuilders unite IV: Barbarian????

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Powerbuilders unite IV: Barbarian????

Post by Cornflower »

OK, I have NEVER been even close to playing a barbarian, but I found a nice build, but when I tried it it didn't work as advertised.

It's here:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=36803
The feat list is not correct. Now, my question is: Is there a way to build a Barbarian/Fighter combo so that you get all of these feats below?
Power Atk
Cleave
Knockdown
Imp Crit
Great Cleave
Imp Knockdown
Weapon Focus
Epic Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Epic Weapon Specialization
Overwhelming Crit
Devastating Crit
Mighty Rage
Terrifying Rage
Thundering Rage

Now, I'm just guessing, but I think B24/F16 perhaps? If you start as a Fighter.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: Powerbuilders unite IV: Barbarian????

Post by Kane0 »

I have to ask, why do you want the epic rage feats?

Thundering rage extra crit damage doesnt stack with massive criticals on a weapon

Terrifying rage could be situationally good, but needs a really good intimidate score just to inflict -2 to rolls unless your target is a lower level than you... in which case it should be a fairly easy kill anyways. Not sure if the bug with immunity to fear still exists.

Mighty rage like regular rage counts towards the +12 stat boost cap so may not be worth it if youre already close to it via items.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:51 am I have to ask, why do you want the epic rage feats?

Thundering rage extra crit damage doesnt stack with massive criticals on a weapon

Terrifying rage could be situationally good, but needs a really good intimidate score just to inflict -2 to rolls unless your target is a lower level than you... in which case it should be a fairly easy kill anyways. Not sure if the bug with immunity to fear still exists.

Mighty rage like regular rage counts towards the +12 stat boost cap so may not be worth it if youre already close to it via items.
Er... because I didn’t know that. I guess I need to read the fine print... but that means there’s not many reasons to take more than 20 levels of Barbarian. That kind of defeats the purpose...
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I guess I need to rephrase my question... So, if I'm gonna try making a barbarian, which road should I go, now that I know that the epic barbarian feats are maybe not soo interesting?

Pure Barbarian? Barbarian/Weaponmaster?

I would like to be able to get these feats, though:
Power Atk
Cleave
Knockdown
Imp Crit
Great Cleave
Imp Knockdown
Weapon Focus
Epic Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Overwhelming Crit
Devastating Crit
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Garek
Knight
Knight

Post by Garek »

Cornflower wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:57 am I guess I need to rephrase my question... So, if I'm gonna try making a barbarian, which road should I go, now that I know that the epic barbarian feats are maybe not soo interesting?

Pure Barbarian? Barbarian/Weaponmaster?

I would like to be able to get these feats, though:
Power Atk
Cleave
Knockdown
Imp Crit
Great Cleave
Imp Knockdown
Weapon Focus
Epic Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Overwhelming Crit
Devastating Crit
The answer is yes........BUT.

To me the most important is exactly what you want to accomplish.

The reason to take Barbarian is for extra DR (EDR feats stack with Barbarian EDR) and +2 HP per level. If you add Toughness to your list above it's closer to a wash for you as for HP.

You really need Fighter is mix in all those feats though especially if you want Weapon Specialization and EWS. Think of it this way. 7 pre-epic feats (P. Att, Cleave, G. Cleave, WF, Imp. Crit, KD, IKD) but no blindfight, or Weapon Spec.. 7 post epic (4 above, plus Epic Prowress and some Great Str) will do what you ask.

The Fighter levels will provide many bonus feats to allow more feats than just those you names.

If you want a Weapon Master you will definitely have it easier to take Fighter levels and your stats need to be spread out more (Dex=13, Int=13).
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Garek wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 am

To me the most important is exactly what you want to accomplish.

The reason to take Barbarian is for extra DR (EDR feats stack with Barbarian EDR) and +2 HP per level. If you add Toughness to your list above it's closer to a wash for you as for HP.

You really need Fighter is mix in all those feats though especially if you want Weapon Specialization and EWS. Think of it this way. 7 pre-epic feats (P. Att, Cleave, G. Cleave, WF, Imp. Crit, KD, IKD) but no blindfight, or Weapon Spec.. 7 post epic (4 above, plus Epic Prowress and some Great Str) will do what you ask.

The Fighter levels will provide many bonus feats to allow more feats than just those you names.

If you want a Weapon Master you will definitely have it easier to take Fighter levels and your stats need to be spread out more (Dex=13, Int=13).
Well... I want a barbarian, but I also want to be able to solo most of Blackstone, so I'm gonna need some Fighter levels I guess. The question is how many, and when?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Barbarian 35 (DR 5) + Fighter 4 (Epic Wep Spec) + Rogue 1 (skill dump) perhaps?
Take up Epic Damage Reduction for a total DR of 18 before gear, pick up rage a feat or two as you like (Mighty is still good if you're not worried about maxxing Str and Con items, and stacks with Terrifying for double the fear auras even if it is unlikely to proc much) and still be able to get dev crit.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I'll try that recipe, thank you!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

That 4th level of fighter must be on an epic level you get a general feat after you get epic weapon focus in order to take weapon spec and then epic weapon spec at the same time, or you will need extra fighter levels.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 am That 4th level of fighter must be on an epic level you get a general feat after you get epic weapon focus in order to take weapon spec and then epic weapon spec at the same time, or you will need extra fighter levels.
Thank you, that would have been a disaster if I missed that... *phew*
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)