PvP in the keep

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

Qui Chang wrote:Hmm. Not sure if this belongs here or in the suggestion area. Either one I suppose. Yes allow pvp in the keep. Or maybe anywhere perhaps.

Cause I was wondering, if it is possible without haks, to have an item given to all characters that simply allow you to activate or deactivate pvp. So maybe if you activate it you can't attack anyone or be attacked. And when not activated you can attack or be attacked. Then all players will have the simple choice and it could solve all kinda problems maybe. Rp'ers can rp anywhere without fear of being pk'd. This would actually force rp kills too cause the person you want to kill would have to agree to change their setting before you could attack them. And all those power building pk'n fools can run around the keep killing each other to their hearts content:?:
That can be done without haks too, but the problem would still remain because of area effect spells and things like bardic curse song, dragon breath and other shifter forms aura effects too, not to mention summonings.

Personally I would go with the boot wand, I know can be done because a server I used to co-host had them for potential future DM's and trusted players. It worked very well and trouble makers were only that once and were gone from the server for good.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Re: I was one Pk'd w/out just cause

Post by k9mouse »

magnus wrote: I also like the idea of having some chars. with temporay boot ability, it may put an end to this type of activity.
please apply for a dm job then.... :wink:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

k9mouse wrote:i do thank player(s) will -try- to enforce the rules, i think the dm's should do that, not players, since they (the dm's) know the rules better then the players and they can talk with the big boss man (driller) more easier then the players can, thus they understand the in and outs of the rules better then the players and they can save more hard feelings then a player who does not know them as well, i trust their word better then an old hat player (their is some reason they (the old hat) are NOT a dm in the first place....
Ok I know the rules very well and you would be hard pressed to find anytime that I have broken them. (not saying that you were accusing me of that) And I do and will continue to enforce the laws and rules of the keep on those who want to break them. If I , at any time, doubt that what I am doing is the right thing then I simply do not do anything and let a DM handle it. And how would you know if the "old hat" is not a dm but just on as a player? That could be possible ya never know.

This server was made as a "Wild west" style server and it is intended that the player base help maintain law and order.
Qui Chang
Baron
Baron

Post by Qui Chang »

Roland Deschain wrote:
Qui Chang wrote:Hmm. Not sure if this belongs here or in the suggestion area. Either one I suppose. Yes allow pvp in the keep. Or maybe anywhere perhaps.

Cause I was wondering, if it is possible without haks, to have an item given to all characters that simply allow you to activate or deactivate pvp. So maybe if you activate it you can't attack anyone or be attacked. And when not activated you can attack or be attacked. Then all players will have the simple choice and it could solve all kinda problems maybe. Rp'ers can rp anywhere without fear of being pk'd. This would actually force rp kills too cause the person you want to kill would have to agree to change their setting before you could attack them. And all those power building pk'n fools can run around the keep killing each other to their hearts content:?:
The problem with that is what do you do with the clowns who do not realize that there are (contrary to popular belief) consequences for your words and actions? They will run their mouths and keep pvp turned off.
Hmm. Very true. But at least it would stop unwanted killing. People running their mouths could at least make for some good rp. :wink: And terrible rp as well. haha.
"When the student is ready.....the master appears" Old Zen Saying
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Qui Chang wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:

The problem with that is what do you do with the clowns who do not realize that there are (contrary to popular belief) consequences for your words and actions? They will run their mouths and keep pvp turned off.
Hmm. Very true. But at least it would stop unwanted killing. People running their mouths could at least make for some good rp. :wink: And terrible rp as well. haha.
Yes it would stop unwanted killing, but then NEEDED killing wuold be stopped also. And someone runnig their mouth IC can be fun if done right, its the people who start running it to you for no reason and continue after you ask them, then tell them to stop that get annoying.
trailofthedead
Commoner
Commoner

Post by trailofthedead »

I know nothing about scripting but is it feasible to remove the xp loss for a PvP death with x diference in levels between the killer and victim? It is no solution to the problem but will at least remove the hardship for the victim of pointless cowardice and bullying.

I think it is important that PvP doesnt attract too negative press - in an RP environment it is an essential tool but it should be a means to an end in terms of the dynamics between charcters, or to kickstart an event, not just killing for the sake of it.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

i am not accusing u of anything (stating it for the record), if a dm plays as player (yes they do, i know), (s)he can always relog as on a dm account... dm's word is law while a players word is not... i do have mixed emotions about the "wild west", but i gave it a try....
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

There's just no way that allowing PvP in the Keep will generate more RP, at least not if pickpocketing is included. On the contrary: it will discourage RP, as people will simply not dare to hang around by the tree anymore.

I do see the point that it would be nice if players rather than scripts or NPCs could be responsible for the justice of the module. It would add extra flavour if these evil guys (that is, correctly role-played in-game evil guys) were dealt with in such a way. If there were no jerks, this would be great.

But there are jerks, as your experience proves. We're not talking about players who have decided their PCs should be evil, we're talking about players who deliberately spoil the experience of other players. That is, when those people kill other PCs without consent, the victim is not just the PC getting killed but also the player controlling that PC. So it's not just their characters breaking the rules of the Keep or the World, it's also the players themselves breaking the rules of conduct of the server. There are already proper proceedings to deal with such incidents (take screenshots, tell a DM etc). Dealing with such things in game would probably just encourage them.

By the way, your tavern experience leads me to think that PvP should really be disallowed in all subareas of the Keep as well (except the Arena, obviously).
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

Some fellow wrote:There's just no way that allowing PvP in the Keep will generate more RP, at least not if pickpocketing is included. On the contrary: it will discourage RP, as people will simply not dare to hang around by the tree anymore.

I do see the point that it would be nice if players rather than scripts or NPCs could be responsible for the justice of the module. It would add extra flavour if these evil guys (that is, correctly role-played in-game evil guys) were dealt with in such a way. If there were no jerks, this would be great.

But there are jerks, as your experience proves. We're not talking about players who have decided their PCs should be evil, we're talking about players who deliberately spoil the experience of other players. That is, when those people kill other PCs without consent, the victim is not just the PC getting killed but also the player controlling that PC. So it's not just their characters breaking the rules of the Keep or the World, it's also the players themselves breaking the rules of conduct of the server. There are already proper proceedings to deal with such incidents (take screenshots, tell a DM etc). Dealing with such things in game would probably just encourage them.

By the way, your tavern experience leads me to think that PvP should really be disallowed in all subareas of the Keep as well (except the Arena, obviously).
i agree with you, the bottom line is.. players should respect other players and let the dm handle the who don't respect other peeps... in the long run, it will save ALLOT of hard feelings....
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

k9mouse wrote:
Some fellow wrote:There's just no way that allowing PvP in the Keep will generate more RP, at least not if pickpocketing is included. On the contrary: it will discourage RP, as people will simply not dare to hang around by the tree anymore.

i agree with you, the bottom line is.. players should respect other players and let the dm handle the who don't respect other peeps... in the long run, it will save ALLOT of hard feelings....
There should be only be hard feelings for the person who was pked without consent or warning, I could not care less if someone who is deliberately breaking rules (with knowledge of such rules) get his or her feelings hurt, they deserve it for being rude.

And A players word can be law also: Example: someone is insulting my normally well mannered PC , after several warnings and requests not to speak to me so, I kill them, read them the rule OOC and then raise them RULE:"If you insult someone OCC or IC you consent to PvP. " My word was Law

And yes PvP in the keep can and DID lead to rp, If pping is allowed then yes it probably would discourage people from going and sitting by the tree, because of fear that they may have an item stolen. But that is not what I am addressing in this post I was speaking only of actual combat.

And for the jerks, I have read and very much agree with the Wands of temp ban (In the right hands) being used with proof of rule breaking and or griefing actions
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

And for the jerks, I have read and very much agree with the Wands of temp ban (In the right hands) being used with proof of rule breaking and or griefing actions[/quote]

yes, i agree that jerks should be banned and we should not care about their feelings, but bans should not happen in the heat of the moment because allot of time logic goes out of the window, to make sure it is justified and fair, we need a 3rd party also so that the all powerfully player does not just banning peeps who does not like (or he ask his friends to do that for him).... we need an outside person involded.... to put it bluntly, i do not truest players as much i trust the dm's interpretation of the rules....

it is to much power in hands of banning player's wands, if they act like a dm, they should have that title also...

another thought came to mind, are you saying we need more dm's on the server then :?:

and what does driller (or other dm's ) think on this matter :?:
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

what about a sheriff's guild? something like a group of people that are designated to patrol the keep? people that CAN PvP and be PvPed inside the keep. is it possible to script something along those lines?
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

i like that idea, if we (every one in the keep) can vote who is in or out of the guild, thus making sure that it does not became a click ( super player with all his friends )

any ideas to make sure it is fair to all :?:
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

A sheriff's guild ? They are called the Hunters. You get pk'd or pp'd then go find a Hunter and the matter will be resolved. BUT it would be easier for them to do their jobs if they had such a script for pvp or if the wards were taken off the keep

And K9 The wand idea was a temporary thing, the designated player uses the wand then the player it was used on is banned for a reset or a day or some other short period of time until a DM can handle the matter in a more severe way if necessary.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

good, i do see the usefulness of the wand and the abuses.. i have no problem if the player have a char named something like that dm_jr_charname.. in that we who has the wand and only that char can have it... some dm's have normal accounts and inverse should be true -- normal players could/should have a jr dm account also...

also, sometimes i do want -help- from a player and other times i do not, we need to be careful of not forcing a victim to accept the help that (s)he does not want..

i be happy if we have
1) the wand wielding char have a title and only that title have that power
2) have a system of fairness (not in the heat of the battle)

it is true some peeps do need to sit out for a while to cool off and at other times they just need to go to different areas to cool off, not a temp banned

how will we make sure that abuse of the said power does not happen in heat of the battle :?: