Multi Class or not to Multi Class?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Multi Class or not to Multi Class?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Ok, I have been bring along a cleric mage, now 7/7, but I don't have any qwests I can take him on! He's basically still a 7th level PC, firepower wise. I can't run him as a atraight mage my AC is only 29, he dies. I can armor him up as a cleric to an AC of 34 max, but he doesn't survive in Marvale or the Druid cove at AC 34. Forget the wastelands. So what gives? Is this module only for single class PC's? I started a Paladin but as I see it he will eventually lack the firepower for high lvl qwests. Maybe I am missing something but where can a poor multi-class cleric mage earn some decent ep. Man am I sick of the swamp! Another problem is the lack of players willing to form a party. But that's for another topic.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

There's a point in level 12-16 where people tend to be stuck. I had the same problem with my characters. But, if I may say so, Cleric/Mage (Sorcerer or Wizard?) Is a poor choice for a build imho. You'll have poor ab, poor hp and not really any strong spells ever, cause of low levels in each caster class. So what do you want with your build?
Anyway, just stick around getting the 'smaller' XPs. Do the bordermech quests, if you haven't done them yet. When you can take on the druids, you're seeing large amounts of xp. Or, find a fighter to run around with. Buff him up, and he'll be owning. Good luck ;)
Official Linkin Park fan!
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Thanks for the advice! BTW, what would you recommend for multi-class? Fighter/mage or Fighter/Cleric or what? Cleric/mage seemed good but there are a number of duplicate spells.

I have done the bordermarch qwests (gnoll cave), I am stuck with the Ice Dragon which I am not going to try as a Cleric/Mage at 7/7. I also am stuck with Marvale which is another very tough qwest. There doesn't seem to be enough middle lvl (13-18) qwests! I am about to bag Blacksone Keep and go back to Rhun. At least there are a number of mid lvl qwests and the ep is better.

Anyway thanks again...to bad you can hire henchmen!
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

There's pretty much no one build that can succeed in every situation. BSK is that way by design. Your best bet is to travel with a meat can to do your dirty work for ya.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Or you could've leveled up to ten in wizard/sorcerer (and take the spell "elemental shield") then grab a Greater Swordsman's Belt, then go to the troll. Level up in wizard/sorc until you can get the spell "Acid Sheath" and then continue leveling and begin to pick up the cleric levels.

But I guess its too late now.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Capt Cliff wrote:Thanks for the advice! BTW, what would you recommend for multi-class? Fighter/mage or Fighter/Cleric or what? Cleric/mage seemed good but there are a number of duplicate spells.

I have done the bordermarch qwests (gnoll cave), I am stuck with the Ice Dragon which I am not going to try as a Cleric/Mage at 7/7. I also am stuck with Marvale which is another very tough qwest. There doesn't seem to be enough middle lvl (13-18) qwests! I am about to bag Blacksone Keep and go back to Rhun. At least there are a number of mid lvl qwests and the ep is better.

Anyway thanks again...to bad you can hire henchmen!
You should be fine at 14th level to Self-buff, and head tot he Shadow Minions.
Get a dragon shield, Get some platemail, and Socket your weapon of choice up, :) (( oh and rememebr take yoru armor and shield off before buffing with wizard spells, hehe, but you knew that already ))
I have done this with a cleric DD build, which was 12th level when I started out there.
There are alot of medium level content, if your willing to hunt around abit.
Driller did really well on balancing the monsters with weaknesses.
Remember those slashing brawling and arching belts are your firends :)

Finding party members should not be too rough either. Just abit of roleplaying around the tree, and you shoudl be able to strike up a conversation, and find your way into a party.
Some people resond to the Town Crier, others dont.
I rarely will respond to the town crier though.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Don't forget all the shrines. Those are good exp for the runestone at the end and the monsters. There are some regions of the underdark that are good as well (such as the battle armors and driders if you can avoid the rust monsters)
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

I would really recommend trying a fighter/cleric or else just go mage (Sorcerer/Wizard). Imho Cleric/Mage is a weak build, as posted before. And now you got advice to where to hunt, too. But I guess it's all in vain. :roll:
Official Linkin Park fan!
Berforam
Count
Count

Post by Berforam »

The point for survive against monsters is named dmg reduction/resistance

get greater belts and avoid sneak attacks... use imp invisibility and elemental dmg resistance spells / itens... use spells such as stone skin, greater stone skin, premonition and epic warding.. that will make you survive.... Ac doesn mattar much.. i have a char lvl 40 that is a wizard cleric and he has only 52 ac with FORGED gear.. and he can survive at umgahs and high lvl monsters easily due spells and dmg resistance.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Capt. Cliff-

You should try the swamps.. at 14.. you should still be pulling 100+ per mob. Also.. the other poster suggested the shadow minions- rakshasa as well.. those are great mid game leveling areas.

Use your clerics armor and AC.. and focus on the buffs. Get the best weapon you can get (with +AB and damage) so you can get your attacks on target.. and kill mobs quickly. Use mage spells to soften up large groups.. and tank the rest. Don't go too far.. and carry plenty of healing paks. You'll find you can hang very well for the next 7 lvls until epic.

Marvale might be a bit tricky until you get spell resistance on your CL side. There are other quests.. and as one poster suggested, plenty of XP and mobs to kill in pursuit of the main quest on BSK.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

T'banyin wrote: You should be fine at 14th level to Self-buff, and head tot he Shadow Minions.
Get a dragon shield, Get some platemail, and Socket your weapon of choice up, :) (( oh and rememebr take yoru armor and shield off before buffing with wizard spells, hehe, but you knew that already ))
I have done this with a cleric DD build, which was 12th level when I started out there.
There are alot of medium level content, if your willing to hunt around abit.
Driller did really well on balancing the monsters with weaknesses.
Remember those slashing brawling and arching belts are your firends :)

Finding party members should not be too rough either. Just abit of roleplaying around the tree, and you shoudl be able to strike up a conversation, and find your way into a party.
Some people resond to the Town Crier, others dont.
I rarely will respond to the town crier though.
Thanks for the encouragement! First I am not to sure where to find the Shadow Minion. I follow some guy into a crypt that has a door that leads to an open glade. I ran into the shadow minion there and almost died, luckily there was a town portal to escape into. Ok now where do you find a dragon shield? I have never seen one at Vogon's. What's the price on such an article? I can buff up to AC 34 but that ain't nothing. The real "female dog" is I lost a +3 ring of protection and +3 amulet to rust monsters in the LIE crypt! Is there a scroll of genocide in this game? :P
Can you give me a hint where I can go to get decent ep (say 100 to 200)for wacking beasties! I tried minotaurs and again almost died, again thanks to a portal escape. Wandering the swamp is a diminishing return for the effort. Also boring! To bad the random monster encounter weren't keyed to your level, i.e. instead of dire wolf you get a dire tiger or dire bear. Justa suggestion. I guess I'll keep pluggind along unless NWN2 is more fun. It is all about fun.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Marvale has your shield, also some other very nice equipment.
Ask in game for directions to the marvale shop someone will gladly show you I am sure :)

+3 ring and amulet, you can find int he crossroads shop, ( ask a higher level for an escourt) they may even open a portal for you there instead of tryin to keep you alive. Although a spell of inivisibility, is a short distance fromt he portal into the Umgah to the crossroads as well.

( you can also get an electrifier there too )
Not to mention, I believe a 19th level +6 robe with spell resistance on it too.

MInos are abit rough you need to swap belts alot in there Slashing to brawling and back.

You may still get fair experience in the Tyranoid swamps, ( bring and archers belt ) but I still think for your level Shadow minions, some spell resistance, and a dragons shield and you will be tearing them up :)
in alot fo cases do not rely on your offensive magics, but rather your defensives. and you shoudl be fine :)
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

T'banyin, thanks again for the help. I am still wondering about the shadow minions, where are they? The only way I know of is thru a crypt via the town portal using LOCR, I think. Nice if there was another way. All these areas you talk about are foreign to me. It would be nice to have a map of the whole KB world. I've seen a map room in one dungeon I was checking out. That would be a great idea.

I'll try to hitch a ride again to the Marvale Shop, been there once but everything was over priced for me at the time. I am assuming the crossroads shop is the same a bit pricey. I have only accumulated 90K gp so far. Thanks again!
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Only 90K? Are you identifying everything before you are selling it? I have seen you IG a bit and 90K is just a couple of good drops, even at Vogon's.

Don't forget to use the storage chest too. Find something good and keep it until you can equip or sell to someone trading. There are a couple people who will trade interesting merchandise. Then there is always making a friend or two IG who can help you.
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Capt Cliff wrote:The real "female dog" is I lost a +3 ring of protection and +3 amulet to rust monsters in the LIE crypt! Is there a scroll of genocide in this game?
FYI: There are no Rust Monsters in the shrines..... However...

There ARE Rust Monsters in the underdark... AND

There ARE doors to he underdark from the bottom of each shrine.

This means that if you were in a shrine and found Rust Monsters, then you left the shrine behind and kept right on truckin' down into the underdark! :P

But don't feel bad. Many do that. You are -----> FAR <----- from being the only one to make such a mistake. :shock:

Hope this helps! 8)
~Demitri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill