Keep the new portal system poll.

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Keep the new portal setup?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am

Keep the new portal system.
23%
Go back to the old portal system.
62%
Other.
15%

Total votes: 26

Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Keep the new portal system poll.

Post by Sorcy Sid »

Do you want to keep the new portal system?
I prefer the old system since it was easier to get to the pawn shop and you had one central location so new players could explore the server on their own.
Suggestions?
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Re: Keep the new portal system poll.

Post by Capt Cliff »

So you mean the old portal system where there was a 4 digit code you had to write down? Not sure what pawn shop you are talking about that was accessible via the "old" portal system!

AH!! Now I see!! The town portal book ports one to the nearest way point yes?

No bring back the old system!

Addendum; The new system is way to confusing!! Easy to forget where your town portal was used last!! Perhaps another portal book keyed to these new portal devices and leave the town portal alone? Use special gems for the new portal devices? A one shot deal?

Also there seems to be a problem with the town portal book and the rune of recall. I used the rune to jump to the party leader and rez some one in the Desolate Way. But when I used my town portal out there to come back I went to the temple in town and not the new device in the Oasis!

Addendum: I now see that the last town my Cleric rezer past through was the keep. Final word keep it simple!
Last edited by Capt Cliff on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Player respawns and portals are tied to the last town you visited.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

I don't mind it, like anything it will just take some getting used to.

I liked the old system, but I can learn the new system too.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

The other major drawback to the new system is that if the second player has never been to, say, the Oasis, and the first player just left the Oasis sets a portal down in the Waste, to bring in the second player, they just wasted a scroll.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Why doesn't the second player follow the quest line?
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Option 3: Be able to choose your portal/spawn town, presumably by a conversation or token.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Ya, I was thinking of that along with putting all those little extra things you get when you make a new character into a book that has all the options in it.
Kane0 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm Option 3: Be able to choose your portal/spawn town, presumably by a conversation or token.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

How about the Town Portal Book allows one to choose where in the realm he wants to go? Cast the town portal book and you get the option to go to A) The Temple. B) the Oasis ... etc. but like the waypoint system portals you must visit these places before the book can provide that option. As for the Portal scroll, other that the places are outside and not in the basement of a tavern/cantina which I like, what you have done is fine. The portal scroll homes in on the last town you passed through.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

I like Blackstone, Bordermarch and the Oasis as port options to choose from. Too many and you won't get the 'hub' effect anymore.
Perhaps spread those three main centres out a bit more and hang more off them, so each one is a minor hub in its own right and equidistant.
Shimozu
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Shimozu »

My Only issue is that when you die you can end up in a city like Oasis without buffs and getting pick pocketed right away because the new portal areas are party PvP.
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

Havent really tried it yet, but it definately seems like a great idea to be able to change hub for the main cities.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

I like the new system in concept.
I feel like being able to choose in the future ( without having to visit the cities every time ) would help and make it awesome
Good idea Driller and I look forward to the final version.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

This has been changed.
Shimozu wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 pm My Only issue is that when you die you can end up in a city like Oasis without buffs and getting pick pocketed right away because the new portal areas are party PvP.
Vestrit
Knight
Knight

Post by Vestrit »

I was in the Mystic Cave when this change went through. Neither type of the portals would work for me. Nothing happened when I tried to enter them.

So I went to Bordermarch. I went to the temple return portal and ended up returned to the cave where I had placed my town portal. I then created a new town portal an it still didn't work for me.

After messing around for a while the town portals started working.

Portals to the Playful Maiden still don't work for me. I enter them and nothing happens.