new combat animations

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
fredfurner
Commoner
Commoner

new combat animations

Post by fredfurner »

Howdy all. I am still new to NWN multiplayer and server play, so I know almost nothing about how this game works in the background in regards to client/server processes. I have searched these forums for keywords and answers but still cannot glean much from the squabbling conversations from 10 yrs ago. With that preface, I present my two questions:

1. I see all sorts of ".hak" files being advertised in Steam. Today, there was one showing some pretty cool combat animations. Is this something I can just do on my own or is this stuff server dependent?

2. Sometimes I notice I will pick up a "PC Properties" item. I assume (out of ignorance) this is some item for which I do not have an associated file for on my client. This leads me to believe there are some things that can be controlled on the client side. Am I missing something?

3. Perhaps it would be beneficial to make a sticky post about how this server works, particularly what things will and will not work on the technical side, perhaps recommended minimum hardware, etc...

Thanks to everyone for the awesome community, and to driller and anyone else involved in the development and maintenance of this server.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new combat animations

Post by driller »

A .hak you download will not work unless the server uses it. I do not use any hak files on BSK.

Files called an override will work client side. Which are probably what the combat animations you are talking about are.

PC Properties is a hidden item your character equips that I use to control subraces/shifter/and or balancing issues for characters.

You should be able to find most of the information about how the the engine works by searching the NWN wiki:

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks,
-driller
fredfurner wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 am Howdy all. I am still new to NWN multiplayer and server play, so I know almost nothing about how this game works in the background in regards to client/server processes. I have searched these forums for keywords and answers but still cannot glean much from the squabbling conversations from 10 yrs ago. With that preface, I present my two questions:

1. I see all sorts of ".hak" files being advertised in Steam. Today, there was one showing some pretty cool combat animations. Is this something I can just do on my own or is this stuff server dependent?

2. Sometimes I notice I will pick up a "PC Properties" item. I assume (out of ignorance) this is some item for which I do not have an associated file for on my client. This leads me to believe there are some things that can be controlled on the client side. Am I missing something?

3. Perhaps it would be beneficial to make a sticky post about how this server works, particularly what things will and will not work on the technical side, perhaps recommended minimum hardware, etc...

Thanks to everyone for the awesome community, and to driller and anyone else involved in the development and maintenance of this server.
Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

Combat animations is an override like driller said. The one on the workshop is someones upload of an old version of them also. There are better versions available.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Ming wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 pm Combat animations is an override like driller said. The one on the workshop is someones upload of an old version of them also. There are better versions available.
Which? Where?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

Cornflower wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:08 am
Ming wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 pm Combat animations is an override like driller said. The one on the workshop is someones upload of an old version of them also. There are better versions available.
Which? Where?
On the vault of course, where you will typically find everything nwn related to begin with. The version on the workshop is the very very old 2.0 version.
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... ck-acp-v40
xookero
Commoner
Commoner

Post by xookero »

[...] should work from there without much hassle unless your module has its own custom crafting conversation.

So there is no way to activate it in BSK (?)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

What are you referring to?
xookero wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:32 am [...] should work from there without much hassle unless your module has its own custom crafting conversation.

Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

xookero wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:32 am [...] should work from there without much hassle unless your module has its own custom crafting conversation.

You woudn't use the bioware crafting version. You would use the main files. Have you never used an override before? This is basic stuff for this game.
xookero
Commoner
Commoner

Post by xookero »

Ming wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 pm

You woudn't use the bioware crafting version. You would use the main files. Have you never used an override before? This is basic stuff for this game.
I have no idea how to activate it without crafting conversation :(

Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0) - Main Files (3015) - I've downloaded this version (.hak & .tlk) - both files are in correct folders now, but I still have no clue how to activate it.
Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

xookero wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:48 am
Ming wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 pm

I have no idea how to activate it without crafting conversation :(

Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0) - Main Files (3015) - I've downloaded this version (.hak & .tlk) - both files are in correct folders now, but I still have no clue how to activate it.
Hak and tlk files are for module builders, not you. You should have had a huge assortment of files that go in your override folder. I havent used combat animations in years so I will have to take a look at it. In the mean time you can fix it by following the steps outlined below.

Did you extract the contents of the HAK file, which can be done with nwhak.exe found in the 'utils' folder of your NWN installation? You can create a folder named ACP 4.0 for example, and then go 'File - Open' and browse to the HAK you want to extract, and then to 'Resources - Export All' in order to extract contents to that folder. They can then be placed in the override folder; it's recommended to maintain a backup of the original Bioware overrides in the Override_Bak folder in case something goes wrong.