Kill Stealing..

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Kill Stealing..

Post by sgtshin »

Hiya..

I wanted to throw something out there for comment and opinion. Last few times I've been logged in.. I've been playing my 6th lvl Sorc, or 5th Lvl MU.. (straight class)...

And I've been out hunting on BSK road.. .or in the swamps...

I'd be in the middle of 1 on 1 combat with (whatever) and another player(s) would come by.. and finish off the (whatever).. and then have the gall to also pick up the loot in addition!! Not only did I lose xp- I lost treasure-

I consider this discourteous play.. "kill stealing" as it were. In the one situation I had.. I confronted, in tells, the player.. and was promptly and nicely handed back my treasure.. with apology.. so... NO PROBLEM. But I thought it rude in the extreme that it occured in the first place. There was no role play either.. just whacking and taking everything in sight.

When I'm out and about.. I don't take a swing at things others are engaged in combat with.. without scrolling over them (the PC in combat) to see what their condition is first. If they are fine.. I move on. If they are wounded or struggling.. I will (IC) ask if they need help...if they say yes.. then I do .. if not.. cool.. I move on.

So with this happening recently.. (about 5 or 6 times) .... I am starting to feel quite pissed when it occurs. To me.. its just a complete lack of gaming courtesy. I had to sit back then, and laugh at myself.. (it is a game afterall).. but I had the feeling like if I had one of my lvl 40 characters on.. and I would have gone into "instant smite mode".. and taught the greedy folks a lesson.. which would also.. be in bad taste.

Just wanted to know what the player community felt about that scenario.. and had anyone else had anything like that happen, and how they handled it or felt about it...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Kill or loot stealing is an automatic consent to PvP.

-driller
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

To keep from getting too wordy here are my thoughts.

Kill Stealing is wrong. If someone else is already fighting a critter, ask to party up or go find another.

Some suggested steps to take before victims of Kill Stealing should consider PKing the offender:

1. Give a warning to the offenders to give them a chance to stop/apologise/whatever.

2. Take a screenshot of the warning and the response.

3. Contact a DM.

4 In the event of there being no DMs available at the time, then I would advise hanging on to those screenies for insurance and then proceed to take whatever necessary measures to make them stop stealing your kills including the use of force.

The actions here are by no means the only way to deal with it. And recommendations made by Driller or the DMs on this thread should take precedence over my idea of Killstealer Justice.
Last edited by Caesius on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only constant is change.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

I, personally, may or may not say something as the situation presents itself. I have found that overall people are pretty courteous about it. There are a number of people who just powergame through BSK, though, who don't care about others on the server in their quest for loot and leveling. I keep that in mind and overall just ignore them, or move to a different area.

I had one guy who walked up to me, and without consent just started attacking me stating he was "practicing his craft". I could have been upset by the sudden attack, but instead I fought him for a bit then ran away after he summoned a earth elemental (very low level obviously).

I think that doing what you did is fine and good, but also keep in mind that in some occasions it is confusing about who makes the final blow on a monster esecially with ranged vs melee weapons and auot attacks when a monster attacks you. I think that when it happens, it is a bit of a mild irritation, but you have to keep in mind that since BSK is RP-LITE, some people take their "lite" very seriously! :roll:
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Benefit of the doubt is always the best policy in my experience.

Let's say the first person to do this to you has ill intentions, you don't get upset at all because it is not a recurring problem. After a few incidents, you are starting to get upset and tired of it. Then, a person who would never kill-steal unless it was a total accident, happens to slip up and do it to you. You are at your wits end and unleash total fury on them, venting your frustration on this person to it's fullest degree. Is that fair to the person who committed the act by an honest mistake? Of course not. Did the first one who did it on purpose and out of malice get awqay with something? Yes.

So, benefit of the doubt in all cases is always the best policy. It keeps you mellow. I think it is best to let a guilty person go than to punish an honest person when it is over something of this nature.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

How do I handle it? I have been the victim of thievery a few times in my short life, so I have a hard time tolerating these kind of situations (and other times, I deal with it by PPing some people who have done me wrong, just to let them know how it feels like). Basically, I give them a warning, and if they do not stop in 3 seconds, I take a screenshot and kill them. Then, depending on the player's reaction, I may either:

a) Raise them if they were polite and understanding about it, but if they try attacking me, it may lead to c.

b) Leave them there, dead. If luck favors them, someone else may come along and raise them. Or they could wait until the next reset.

c) Cast invisibility on them once they're dead. They were very rude about it and claimed that they were in the right, even though I explained to them what happened. They demand to be ressurected immediately, but thats too bad. They won't be back alive for a long time.

I haven't run into this problem alot, but I just started a new character and I am beginning to see alot of Kill stealing. Its time to educate these newbies about it....
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
_Time_Stop_
Commoner
Commoner

Post by _Time_Stop_ »

I've had people kill steal several times. They are always much higher level than I am and often go right for the spawn I am fighting at the time.

No word just do it.

It is not like I can do much about it since a screen shot does not show unless you do it as a movie it happening.

Just because in the middle of a fight someone might buff a spell does not mean they are not ingaged with a spawn.

I can understand archers because often they target and can't stop themselves but these are sword welding fighters.
Time holds still for no man, only a woman can make it seem forever.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Yeah I have had people kill steal before, or attempt to loot my treasures while I am still engaged with a second spawn that I hadnt time to finish to loot, in most cases I stop attacking my critter and take a couple hits directly on the person attacking my kill or looting my stuff.
I haven't ever killed anyone for it, usually give them chase, and tell them to leave my things alone. Which usually does the trick.
It doesnt matter if you are 5 levels lower or 25 levels lower, They cannot evaluate what level you are. They consent to pvp by stealing from you.

Once I had someone run up take my kill and run off for another spawn, I ran up to attack him, misclicked and killed his spawn, he ran off. *chuckles* so I suppose that works too.
You as a Sorcerer, have a very good chance in a couple levels of, wiping out someone even 10 levels higher than you if they are not prepared for a wizards duel ;)

If you do not want to engage in pvp combat, simply report the kill stealing to a DM, also make sure you screenshot things like that as well, if it continues.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Elf
Commoner
Commoner

KS-ing

Post by Elf »

At a low level, I had someone trying to ks me constantly on Blackstone Road. I asked them to stop it. I got told ooc, and I quote "im rping a tehif". Oook. So I move to another part of the road so I don't have to deal with said person, and go on my happy little way of killing undead. I get to about half elf rogue health and said person comes up to attack me now saying I KS'ed them. I happily handed this persons foot back to insert in their mouth. Lia saved them and attacked me again. I killed them again and stood over them making sure they were not getting up this time. I didn't ress them and told this person to chill (in ooc, of course). *shakes head sadly*

If on the off chance, since I usually use a bow that I accidently ks someone's npc, I make sure they get the loot and that I at least heal them up. You can't really give them back the exp they lost, but you can try to make the situation right.

Eh, moral of the story. Don't be a ks'ing fool.
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why am I lone and why do I feel that
I carry a sword through a battlefield? -VNV Nation
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

Repeated KS doesnt mean death in my book. my mage is a transmuter and t usually ends up in stoning and invis.

Sucka!
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

@_@;;; just dominate a waste giant and let him loose near the kill stealer...

Then the newbie can TRY and kill steal all he wants, but trust me... "he be dead" after having a one-on-one moment of appreciation with a giant's club.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Or summon some balors and a couple adult black dragons. Lets see them kill steal that!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
Azure
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Azure »

Sadly kill stealing is alive and well still in BSK and its always done by some character that happens to be at least 5 season higher than my character.

Its all very well saying that kill stealing is consent to PvP...
What happens if you don't like PvP ?
What happens if you go into PvP and find you are out skilled by a more seasoned character ? Isn't then consent to PvP a waste of your time and effort.

Your only recourse it seems is to log in with your higher level character and go hunt this other kill stealer by means of metagaming and thats even a bigger no-no ?

Sorry but situations like this are a lose-lose, especially if your like myself a person who does not want or even like PvP.

Sorry but i think we need more DM presence, screenshots do not show enough detail, like an earlier post here said "they'd need to be like a movie".

A still screenshot is like a single photograph it lacks vital information. It does not matter whether you open up your panals to the fullest height and take 60 or 100 screenshots of them, there is still so much missing that can be interupretated any way the view or viewer thereafter chooses to do so.

Sorry but i believe this kill stealing/ loot stealing is too damned easy for those that do it to get away with it. Believe to it should be a bannable offense if caught by a DM.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

I like to hunt alone.. Like not just without party members around, but the entire area is devoid of other PC's. It's my own personal private test. I guess my 'actively seeking alone time' with the monsters has had a positive effect on the number of times someone has "Kill stolen" from me.

O_o; It's no secret that I like playing spellcasters, and often times when I stumble across some PC fighting a gang of monsters, the monsters will recognize my class as a mage/cleric and break off their attack to engage me! >_<!!! Makes a little sense, since mages rule and everyone else drools... but sometimes it's not my fault.

Anyway, if someone steals a kill -maliciously- ... oh ho ho! Consented PvP, in my mind, also counts as an open invitation for a verbal lashing! I think I can let 400 XP or whatever for a monster go if I can open a verbal can of whoopin' on some slack jawwed maggot who's too pussyfoot to actually kill his own encounters.

And if he even -thinks- of back talking! Oh, let's just say I've picked and fought my battles in the past. Veteran of the Great Flame War of '99. I got a Purple Heart in '05 for my endurance run. By all means, the goonies in Califoria who hash out domain names for the world-wide web ought to give me a Medal of Distinguishable Honor for my tour of duty.

Oh... and if someone seems to be a real arse... :P Ask me to take a hit out on them. Payment is fair... I ask only for a hug and maybe some cuddle time.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
DM Rendyll
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Rendyll »

I don't really condone dragging waste giants or dragons into low level areas, but one solution is to head to the Tree in the Keep. There is usually at least one person there that will be glad to take their higher level char and aid in the distribution of justice, so long as it's RP'ed out. Ask for some help, you never know what RP chances might crop up.
Play by the spirit of the rules, not by the letter of the law.