Why is Marvale and the Druid Grove so Tough?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Once again, Blackstone isn't set in Forgotten Realms.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:
Caesius wrote:Trolls and minotaurs each have hundreds of hit points. I don't see how they could be considered 6 hit die. I would be more inclined to believe they are at 18-20 hit die creatures. The enemies at marvale and the grove have fewer HP but they have more spellcasters and so you will need to be prepared if you don't want to get killed by their spell chucking. Either the right equipment, the right buffs or the right allies could do the trick.
Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

is posting four times in a row worse than double-posting by twice or by polynomial degree 2 or 4?

The edit button is your friend.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Capt Cliff wrote:Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI
Hah, we grow our trolls and minos bigger and badder out here. :P
The only constant is change.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote:Once again, Blackstone isn't set in Forgotten Realms.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:
Caesius wrote:Trolls and minotaurs each have hundreds of hit points. I don't see how they could be considered 6 hit die. I would be more inclined to believe they are at 18-20 hit die creatures. The enemies at marvale and the grove have fewer HP but they have more spellcasters and so you will need to be prepared if you don't want to get killed by their spell chucking. Either the right equipment, the right buffs or the right allies could do the trick.
Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI
Yes, I see that it is one of a kiind. The difference between arena football and the NHL, which has a goal. Now what is the plot to this dungeon again? What are we doing there? Are we giving the ring to Frodo to destroy or are we just running around killing and blasting everything in site.

An driller are you still true to this website? Which encouraged me to join.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Ga ... tail&id=90
It say's there is a plot. A goal. After reaching 15/16 lvl as a straight paladin and cleric mage I have not found the plot. This is a roleplaying dungeon right?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It is what you make of it. It really depends on you.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI
Yes, I see that it is one of a kiind. The difference between arena football and the NHL, which has a goal. Now what is the plot to this dungeon again? What are we doing there? Are we giving the ring to Frodo to destroy or are we just running around killing and blasting everything in site.

It say's there is a plot. A goal. After reaching 15/16 lvl as a straight paladin and cleric mage I have not found the plot. This is a roleplaying dungeon right?
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Try other shrines. Find the runes. Solve the riddle. Grow in power so you can defeat Shalnath. There's the plot. All the sub-quests are steps in attaining the goal.

I have not yet gotten to Shalnath, let alone made it through all the underdark, and I have been on for a few months now. BSK is difficult, and there are tricks to playing so that it is not as difficult.

I have found it best to listen and learn from the veterans. I solo through much of BSK, and have learned a few things here and there from adventuring to others, reading the forum regularly, and asking questions.

But it is poor form on this forum to make suggestions about how to change the 'structure' of the module (doing so has led to many a flame war). Suggestions on specific aspects of quests or areas are heavily discussed, and on occasion implemented. A big part of the charm of BSK is that it is NOT Forgotten Realms. It is a nice change of pace.

The gods intervene and assist directly. The monsters are different. Some less challenging, some more so. Part of the charm is learning through trial and error how they all fit together.

I know we all have complaints about different aspects, but I for one appreciate the effort to put a spin on everything.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Capt Cliff wrote:

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI

True, like driller said, its what you make of it.

That particular dungeon ( now known as the troll caves ) once was the home of the bi-nou (sp?) at some later point the trolls ran them out. There was once ancient artifacts found there, and later the vampires took over preying on the living warriors within those caverns.

Not every area has to have or should have a quest related to it.
All those mentioned events, were not sxcripted quests, but rather happenings that were DM or player ran.

With drillers new experience system set up as well, once you get within any party you should be able to repidly gain some levels if leveling is your desire.

Ofcourse, like I have said before, not everyone responds to the town crier, but most do respond to direct roleplay. Stay in character, and approach people, first as a listener, and when you see an opportunity, introduce yourself and join in, it wont be long before you will notice, even though this is a roleplay lite server, ( meaning not everyone roleplays ) it is still very roleplay orientted.
:)

Alot of fun can be had by sticking with it, and ofcourse, by, making your presence known, whether that is in the way of friendly banter of a halfling bard, or grumpy rudeness of an old dwarven miner, or perhaps a snooty elvish cleric? ;) But thats your choice :)
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

we're already god one grumpy old dwarf, we hardly need another!
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:we're already god one grumpy old dwarf, we hardly need another!
:retard: :confused: Aren't all dwarves old and grumpy? :) :)
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

yes, even baby dwarves are old and grumpy :P

im referring to Myle's DM character.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

Marvale is tough and so is the druid grove, very true. But!
When I became level 12 with my paladin and my ingame sister was level 11, we took out to the druid grove. We could actually kill 3-4 druids before we had to find rest (or go back). We got 300 xp each, when we were together. She buffed my paladin with her sorcerer spells, and invis'ed herself. We actually lived in the druid grove untill level 18 or so, we never could kill the leader though, trying usually resulted in death or immediate retreat. Anyway. My point is, if you're melee, find a buffer and try again. And if you're a buffer (cleric, sorcerer, wizard, druid, perhaps bard) find a melee mate and try now. The druid grove is, in my humble opinion, overrated. Only the leader is actually very strong. 8)
Official Linkin Park fan!
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Yar!

Capt.,

Unlike many D&D based modules, BSK does not come with color by number leveling ladders. You can die, you will die, you should die... several times if you do not travel with friends and if you either do not know the server or can truly RP your character without preconceived knowledge.

Just like if your 1st level character fails to enter the barn in the Hamlet or turn left to the pasture... you run your level one character straight through the Hamlet onto Blackstone road, your character will most likely die. Especially if the spawn take a few moments and you travel a ways down the screen.

You should play your character as if death could visit him/her at any moment from around any bend.... or even just popping out of the thin air.

Adventurering is not a career that lends itself to long life. Every step on the road forward can be a misstep leading to death.

The main plot is clearly spoken about by many NPC's and hinted at on IG items. It is your task to reveal the clues and succeed or fail. The server is not obligated to provide special alerts when what might sound like typical chatter is important to keeping you alive or finding success in the central server plot.

This server has life, death, fighting, peace, magics, melee, good, bad, mysteries and puzzles and more. Some secrets are specific to individual races or classes, some challenges require melee endurance or Magical firepower.

Your character is just another adventurer. It is up to him/her to strive forward and either succeed or retire.

Not all characters are up to the challenge, I have many characters who never advanced past mid-levels for various reasons... generally they could not handle the dangers and retired with their lives.

How you proceed is up to you. This server is what you make of it.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:How you proceed is up to you. This server is what you make of it.

Myle
Words of wisdom. Better remember those. :mrgreen:
Official Linkin Park fan!
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Post by sgtshin »

Capt. Cliff-

Because THEY ARE!!!

It took me latching onto someone and RPing (just a tiny bit) to help me...
I can't even tell you who that was to be honest.. but they bought me a new battle axe... (which I paid back)... and I killed that Druid Leader good!! The Druid quest is one of the hardest.. while Marvale can be very easy..

TIP

Not all quests on BSK are sequential, nor, should be interpreted that way.

TIP

Its always more fun to get diced into small bits by a mob, and work your butt off to figure out how to overcome it.. than it is to walk by and smackdown everything in your path.

TIP

Pay attention to what the mob does to you... or, what or sometimes is more important.. what you can not do, to it. Every mob has its weakness...as well as its strengths.. some are pwnd by fighter types, some, by magic types.

TIP

Using that knowledge, find or equip yourself with the right items, or resistances to cancel that mobs strengths, and pwn its weaknesses.

TIP

Even though the server count has been way down, meaning less folks to RP with.. there are still plenty that will help.. just don't rely on the town crier.... simply staying in character.. and asking for help by the tree, in Vogon's or in the temple.. will net you some, without much effort. Example... "Excuse me, can you help me?"... use it.. it works..

TIP

Be willing to leave a quest "on the table"... and come back every few levels with better equipment/weapons/armor... eventually.. you'll nail it.

TIP

After nearly a year on the server, with many epic level characters, there are STILL quests I have not completed, nor have figured out... I could use a good Paladin...

Leave your character name, and I'll look for you IG with a similar level char of same level that needs both quests, and I'll introduce to you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

In summation, BSK can't be wrapped up into som neat little packeage. just because you had ease with quests 1 & 2, it does n't mean that quest 3 will be a breeze. To some extent, this is by design. The best course of action, as said earlier, is to ask questions, group with a party, and most of all be patient. Getting to level 40 is not all it's cracked up to be, so enjoy the ride.