Forming parties or Diaboloing the game?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Forming parties or Diaboloing the game?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Recently I've noticed that there are not many medium lvl parties running about. There are some pretty neat people ready to help an low lvl PC along, general it gets them killed. But there are not many players will to jion a party. They prefer the Diabalo method. I think the big problem is that if one PC in the party has completed the qwest then it might prevent the other PC's from completeing the qwest. That might be a hard coding problem with NWN. Anyway does the DM penalize PC's that don't join parties? Parties are really the only way you can combat some of these monsters. Oh, and adding a ringer in the party, i.e. a high lvl mage, to basically unbalance the play. I know one example of a bunch of 13 to 15 lvl PC's attacking Marvale and they got dusted by the evil clerics. But they solved it by bringing in a ringer, which to me spoils the intent of the game. But back to the topic sure would be nice if more players formed parties and there were more mid-lvl qwests for the teenage PC's, meaning lvl 13 to 19.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

Capt Cliff wrote:Recently I've noticed that there are not many medium lvl parties running about.
Can't say for sure, but I'll guess that BSK has lost a few players (not many), due to NWN2. At least I never play NWN1 more, but that could be only me. :)
Capt Cliff wrote:They prefer the Diabalo method.
What is that? Solo'ing?
Capt Cliff wrote:I think the big problem is that if one PC in the party has completed the qwest then it might prevent the other PC's from completeing the qwest.
Not really. Players can always just leave the party, when completing quests. (And taking them)
Capt Cliff wrote:That might be a hard coding problem with NWN.
Nope. That's more a scripting 'problem', if it's a problem at all.
Capt Cliff wrote:Anyway does the DM penalize PC's that don't join parties?
Nope. But the rules say, that you may not join party with someone 7 levels above or below you, and then go together with them to kill things. (Afaik)
Capt Cliff wrote: But back to the topic sure would be nice if more players formed parties and there were more mid-lvl qwests for the teenage PC's, meaning lvl 13 to 19.
Actually, I agree.
But the problem with partys is, that it ruins the XP. If I get 100 xp from a monster, when I'm alone, I'd only get around 50 XP together with someone else. And if we're 3, we'd only get around 35. Which is poor. That's because BSK uses BioWare's intern XP system (iirc...)

:mrgreen:
Official Linkin Park fan!
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Thanks for the response. I've bought NWN2 but it hasn't arrived yet. If it's better then I'll drop Blackstone Keep and move over to NWN2. I've alos gone back to Rhun on the Prime server. That plays ok and there are a number of areas where mid-lvl PC's can gain ep, decent ep not 3 or 4 points. Blackstone was fun but it might be time to move on. Good hunting.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Let me try to clear this up a little: There still seems to be some confusion and mis-information here.

1. There's no penalty for soloing, but there is a bonus for being in a party. We encourage parties and I personally seek out well formed parties (as of late, ANY party due to the lack thereof) to engage in my events.
The Town Crier, located near the Rune Portal in town, is one good way to at least announce your desire to form a party. Another is to "level camp", meaning to linger in an area appropriate to your level (13-15 might be tyranoid swamp or maybe shadows, depending on class/build) and form a party there. Some ppl simply like to solo, and they can't really be faulted for that. To me, in kind of defeats the purpose of playing a MMORG, but to each their own, i guess.

2. If you are in a party with somone who has already completed the quest you are doing, it's not a big deal. Thwe quest item will still drop, but usually the person (or persons) who actually have the quest must be the one to kill the key monster. Otherwise, the item will not drop. ****IMPORTANT NOTE **** In cases where the are sequential quests, especially Foxmoore, make sure that no one in the party is a quest or more behind, otherwise the person will never be able to receive the "skipped" quests.

3. Having a "ringer" in your party is an offense. We dont catch everyone all the time, but it's something we're always on alert for. Honestly, seven levels of difference is very generous. for example, a part can consist of a level 8, a 12, and a 15 and be legit. The party level restrtictions do NOT apply to Epic chars. In other words, and 40 and a 21 and be in the same party.

Hope that clears things up
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

On a related note, I have implemented this:

http://thewastelands.org/viewtopic.php?t=172

-driller
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller that looks like a good idea. Have you implemented it?

Another way might be to regulate random monster encounters as a function of lvl. North of Sara Brae are gnolls, always gnolls. Well change it so that the random encounter is a function of lvl. Instead of a gnoll use another higher hit dice monster. Giants? Example dire wolfs should be dire tigers or dire bears for anybody over lvl 12 and if your over lvl 20 you get zippo. Just a thought.
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

It was added in lastnight. ( With one interesting bug )
Hehe :) needless to say, I like it, :)
Even if the bug has been removed hehe.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~