Keep the new portal system poll.

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Keep the new portal setup?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am

Keep the new portal system.
23%
Go back to the old portal system.
62%
Other.
15%

Total votes: 26

Vestrit
Knight
Knight

Re: Keep the new portal system poll.

Post by Vestrit »

I tested it again and the Maiden portals now work for me. Maybe I had to exit the game and come back.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

This will be fixed after the next reset.
Vestrit wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am I tested it again and the Maiden portals now work for me. Maybe I had to exit the game and come back.
Vestrit
Knight
Knight

Post by Vestrit »

Thanks for all your work driller!
Aleesha
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Aleesha »

Please please go back to the old system!!! One of the joys of Blackstone was the wonderful portal system. The new one is just awful.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Aleesha wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 pm Please please go back to the old system!!! One of the joys of Blackstone was the wonderful portal system. The new one is just awful.
"... awful" is a bad choice of words ... disorienting might be a better choice. Driller is trying to make our life easier. Hang tough and he will!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Except for possible edge case or two, the portal system should be working as intended now.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Now that the portal system seems to be mostly fleshed out, I can at least why it was designed in replace of the old system.

[I can edit for spoilers if I reveal too much here.]

The old system allowed players to essentially grab almost any waypoint right the get go from inside Blackstone alone, assuming the appropriate portals were already set up. This meant it was possible to basically level a character from 1-40 without interacting with the questing system at all.

Now, a character beginning on Blackstone must complete Foxmore's questline to progress to the Oasis, and Ozban's questline to progress to the Underdark. I assume that this was originally how these quest lines were supposed to be set up [i.e. as Gatekeepers to the higher level areas], and that the old portal system provided an unintended work around.

Via the new system, it is still possible to use Portal scrolls usefully within small pockets of areas around the 4 major towns, now that the kinks seems to be mostly ironed out. So the portal system can still be used locally to good effect; just not globally. Waypoints are for global use.

Personally, I still like the old system more [I'll admit that I'm a powergamer and would sometimes rather the most direct route], but I can see the motivation behind changing it. At the very least, from my observation, people seem to be grouping up more often now to complete various quest lines.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

The Flying Rodent wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm Now that the portal system seems to be mostly fleshed out, I can at least why it was designed in replace of the old system.

[I can edit for spoilers if I reveal too much here.]

The old system allowed players to essentially grab almost any waypoint right the get go from inside Blackstone alone, assuming the appropriate portals were already set up. This meant it was possible to basically level a character from 1-40 without interacting with the questing system at all.

Now, a character beginning on Blackstone must complete Foxmore's questline to progress to the Oasis, and Ozban's questline to progress to the Underdark. I assume that this was originally how these quest lines were supposed to be set up [i.e. as Gatekeepers to the higher level areas], and that the old portal system provided an unintended work around.

Via the new system, it is still possible to use Portal scrolls usefully within small pockets of areas around the 4 major towns, now that the kinks seems to be mostly ironed out. So the portal system can still be used locally to good effect; just not globally. Waypoints are for global use.

Personally, I still like the old system more [I'll admit that I'm a powergamer and would sometimes rather the most direct route], but I can see the motivation behind changing it. At the very least, from my observation, people seem to be grouping up more often now to complete various quest lines.
I don't like the new system really, but I can see the point. I can even grudgingly admit that it's better than before, especially from the "jumping ahead of your level" standpoint.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

please keep this poll open a bit longer.

Not all are on the forum and us debate warriors always give the feedback.

perhaps create a log in message everytime you log in about the forums and important topics.
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

Oh I totally fell in love with this system the first time I seen it! I've honestly not really messed with it mucha till last night! It dropped my jaw to see so many people in towns that I never see ANYONE at hardly. This was a outstanding idea to fill the cities that are always vacant. Its also a added bonus that it stops us from power gaming and making it a joke to get way points. Now you are gonna want to do the foxmore questline and it will make grouping up with others your same level so much easier! Because now most people in area "X" are leveling in area "X".

I love how there is a "Glenna" in each town and now they give buffs for a price. Maybe for the higher end priests you can increase what buffs they give? For example "Greater Magic Weapon and Improved Invisibility" Would be great additions to the ones that are closer to Umgahs. Another good idea could be to give each major city its own Town Crier. That way it will help people to gather others.
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

And while you’re at it, actually make the town crier shout. For those of us who keep our log split the combat side can fly by really fast but a yellow announcement on the chat side is far more obvious.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Wing--Zero wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am Oh I totally fell in love with this system the first time I seen it! I've honestly not really messed with it mucha till last night! It dropped my jaw to see so many people in towns that I never see ANYONE at hardly. This was a outstanding idea to fill the cities that are always vacant. Its also a added bonus that it stops us from power gaming and making it a joke to get way points. Now you are gonna want to do the foxmore questline and it will make grouping up with others your same level so much easier! Because now most people in area "X" are leveling in area "X".

I love how there is a "Glenna" in each town and now they give buffs for a price. Maybe for the higher end priests you can increase what buffs they give? For example "Greater Magic Weapon and Improved Invisibility" Would be great additions to the ones that are closer to Umgahs. Another good idea could be to give each major city its own Town Crier. That way it will help people to gather others.
Combine the way point portals with the book portals into one portal. You still need to discover the portal to travel between portals while the town portal book will send you to the nearest portal and from there you can travel via the way point system to where ever you like. Also put all portals inside a temple like in the Keep. Seems logical!
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

So the scrolls you can buy give you a (one way) escape to the nearest town portal, and when you get the book it acts like a portable waypoint?
I like that idea.