rp question

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

rp question

Post by Roland Deschain »

Why is it that when someone is running their mouth IC and it looks like it is going to end in violence, Some think they have to step in ooc and start telling the one who is threatening violence that they A. Do not know how to rp and continue with more insults or B. they have no right to attack?

This is an RP lite server therefor we can rp in our own way. My way just happens to be, I will rp with you and be pleasant with it, but if you insult me IC I will ask you to stop then I will make you stop (or die trying). That is how i play and that is my characters RP.

Now technically wouldnt we have to place ourselves in a time period close to the Middle ages because of the look and feel of BSK. With that being said, if you insulted someone in that time you were more than likely headed towards violence. Or we could take what Driller has said and use that "BSK is a wild west style server " (something to that effect). Who has watched a western? Ok if you did something like what we are talking about in the Wild West and you got your teeth knocked out or shot out.

Now I understand that some people do not want to pvp and that is fine, but why can some not understand that if you RP with someone who PvP's and you insult them and continue to do so that after being asked to stop that you may get killed.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Know why? Because in the Keep, there is no PvP. If there was, those players who run their mouths off would be dying left and right and whining non-stop. Also, they feel safe enough in this "RP-Lite" atmosphere to believe that their actions are perfectly legal and you should put up with them. Of course they are entirely wrong, but what are you going to do? :D
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

lol well what I normally do is wait for them to leave the keep, then I start the rp back up. and someone dies after that.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

The PvP rules clarification that Driller posted not long ago have led me to slay quite a few more characters than I ever had before. Why? Because if you send me a tell and insult me, I screenie it and kill you or die trying. If you are a jerk to my character, I screenie it, and kill you or die trying. Driller made the rules quite clear on the matter.
The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Tells are OOC. If someone has an insulting comment for you OOC, it probably was because of something your character did. In which case that means they can't separate IC from OOC. Why bother with them. Pfft. Let them rot. Unless they decide to attack you. In that case kill em. Which is probably what happened. NM. :D
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

I've gotta add my two cents to this:

First of all, players try to let their chars compensate for their true limitations - i.e I (a char I play) had a char try to give me a dice roll against Intel, claiming his char had a hi score, when the player himself seemed to have an I.Q of less than three digits.

Also, OOC tempers flare and people forget that this is a GAME. OOC tells and whatnot only add fuel to the fire, and things get blown way out of proportion.

Last: There are quite a few who can't RP their way out of a wet paper bag, and are just looking for an excuse to go PvP. In a true RP context, it would be possible and admired if the chars in question were to RP their battle and, if necessary, use dice rolls to help determine the outcome. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, this is improbable at best, still I never lose hope...
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

if someone were to insult me, i probably would not outright kill them... no matter how bad it was... If some one stole something from me, even, I would (want to) beat them around, but never kill them (unless maybe if I was neutral-chaotic evil)... too much killing and death seems to wreck any sort of RP. The only time I would RP killing another was if someone threatened me, threatened someone i care for, killed someone I cared for, or continuously bug me on purpose, even when asked over and over to stop (i mean really bugging, to make most desire to kill the person). Don't have the first thoughts that go in your head be death... it tends to abruptly end any RP, even if you like showing off your power...
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

Sit around the tree sometime and watch the PITA's (pains in the...) that love to sit there and spout off and upset people just for the fun of it, knowing darn well that they would die in the hamlet or arena and have no intention of leaving the keep.

These are the people that tick me off. They interupt role play, they do it on purpose and they think it is funny. So do I mind when they go too far and are hunted all night long...not one little bit.
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Even if the keep was PvP, they would just be killed... then lay on the ground and keep spouting off. If they happento respawn, they would just come back...

The best answer is to screenshot these PIA's. While being a PIA is not necessarily grounds for a ban, it could easily be grounds for being left in the isolation chamber for a while.

Andthe funny thing is... these people often earn the ban we want to give them once we put them in Isolation and they start mouthing off rather than learning their lesson.

Lifes cycle works wonderfully sometimes

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

ok, this is gonna sound really stupid and noob ish but...er....how do you take a screen shot and what do you do with it once you have it?

I know, I know...sorry.

ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

dmcclain wrote:ok, this is gonna sound really stupid and noob ish but...er....how do you take a screen shot and what do you do with it once you have it?

I know, I know...sorry.
Press the Print Screen button and then you send it off to one of the nice and cuddly DM's. Preferably not Myle. Nobody likes him. But shhh.. You didn't hear it from me.

:P
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

Thanks Nizzle! :)

Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

*Big inhale, as he tosses 2 bits into the pot*

A couple months ago, I had to track Murdoc for over an hour before I came across someone laying on the ground....someone whom I knew was in his party. So naturally, I left her on the ground, Imp Invis'ed, and waited.

Sure enough, here comes Murdie, frolicking along, and when I cut my mage loose on him, there was no whining. There was no complaining. He knew it was coming, as he'd attacked me previously and unprovoked. He knew there were consequences and didn't b*tch when they came. He laughed. I laughed. I rezzed him. We called it even.

He didn't act all shocked and surprised. He didn't start mouthing off. He didn't make threats at me. Sure, he could've came back and got me, but then it would've never ended. He was a good sport about it, as I was when it happened to me.

Imagine if we could all play like grown-ups, instead of whiny brats. *sighs* I suppose that's too much to ask.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

It boils down to two key words you used: "good sports"

The problem is not the good sports on the server.
The problem is/was not even the occassional unprovoked PK's.

The problem is that some people have/would become a menace on the server. Quite often they avoided the DM's and unfortunately most victims get flustered and forget to take the needed screenshots.

While some believe that griefers could be handled easier if they could be killed, that is a misconception. Whether a griefing action takes the form of a PK or the form of annoying chatter that is meant to be disruptive has no bearing on how they should be dealt with.

If you kill them, they will either respawn and return OR they will lay on the ground dead and keep issuing taunts. The only thing that happens is that the 'behaving' players grow more frustrated because they realise how powerless they are and the griefer revels in the attention and chaos.

The only solution is to gather screenshots so that we can accumulate enough to justify a Ban ... OR... the "behaving" players can relocate.

My suggestion is to take a screenshot, relocate slowly so that the jerk can follow you, then kill him once your in a PvP allowed zone. Since you have the screenshots to clarify you were justified in your PK action against the jerk - you'd be golden. THEN... everyone relocate before the idiot can respawn and follow you again.

The problem with making the Keep PvP allowed, is that it does nothing to hinder the greifers, but it makes the Keep that much less safe for everyone else. The griefer does not care if they get PK'd, especially if they will gain the ability to randomly PK folks in town.

Those of you who KNOW how to behave and get along reasonably well are correct: Ideally the server would be 100% PvP enabled and let the RP chips fall where they may.

But BSK is open to the great wide world and it is decidedly not always ideal.

The power to kill someone who does not care if they get killed will not help things and giving people who do not care about anyone the ability to increase the impact they can have by killing people in the Keep will only encourage them.

To Rolands original post though.....
If they ask for it, give it to them.

I will make a deal with you (and everyone else).... If you capture a screenshot of someone who keeps pushing buttons AFTER an OOC warning that you will PvP them if they keep it up.... and you send that SS to me (ST_DM_Myle (at) swords (dot) com).... Based on meeting the above criteria - I will absolve you of having to raise them or offer any of the "Courtesies" that are mandated in the Rules and Guidelines.

But you must also be able to produce the SS if requested incase the mailer deamon eats it.

The liberty to harddrop the PK smackdown has a price. If you meet it, feel free to deal the pain to jerks who earn it.

Also... if I am in game anywhere as a DM or moderating a forum anywhere as a DM ... I am on X-Fire. If there is a problem, feel free to comtact me. My X-Fire nickname is: mylelot and as long as I am not running an event, I don't mind a call to put out a fire now and then.

So light up the ol' Bat Signal if you find you need to.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle